[SOLVED] Removing AMD Unsupported Hardware Watermark on Acer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steve3055

[SOLVED] Removing AMD Unsupported Hardware Watermark on Acer

Post by Steve3055 »

I installed Linux Mint 13 (32-bit edition, with Mate) on an Acer Aspire One AO725-0487 netbook. This PC has an AMD C-70 APU (which is a combined CPU with on-board Radeon 7200 series GPU). I switched to the proprietary graphics driver listed as "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates)" in Mint's "Additional Drivers" dialog. This driver works well, but leaves an annoying "AMD Unsupported Hardware" watermark in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Searching the web for solutions yielded three different methods for removing this watermark:

1. Switch to the Open Source driver. The Open Source driver works, but doesn't't take advantage of the APU's 3D features, and the power consumption is a lot greater, resulting in shorter battery life. Also, suspend doesn't work well on this driver.

2. Edit the binary of the proprietary driver, using a script like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
DRIVER=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
for x in $(objdump -d $DRIVER|awk '/call/&&/EnableLogo/{print "\\x"$2"\\x"$3"\\x"$4"\\x"$5"\\x"$6}'); do
 sed -i "s/$x/\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90/g" $DRIVER
done
I tried this, but the system hung during boot, and I had to restore the binary to it's original form using Linux Mint on a live USB stick.

3. Replace the AMD/ATI "control" file with a newer one that lists my hardware as supported. This worked for me. Here's the procedure:

Download the 13.3 version of the driver from the AMD website at http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-dr ... x86_64.zip

You won't be installing this driver, just extracting a single file from it. Unzip the archive to get to the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run file it contains, then mark that .run file as executable, and extract it's contents with this command in a terminal window:

./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract

Next, save a copy of your current "control" file, just in case:
sudo mv /etc/ati/control /etc/ati/control_ORG

Now copy the newly extracted control file into place:
sudo cp /fglrx-install.3RR7LX/common/etc/ati/control /etc/ati/control

(Your paths to these files may vary, depending on where you extracted the files.)

Now reboot the system, and the watermark should be gone.

Hope this helps someone!

- Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ian Clarke

Re: [SOLVED] Removing AMD Unsupported Hardware Watermark on

Post by Ian Clarke »

I have been searching for this solution as I have the same issue with ATI beta 13.3 drivers and Mint 14.

I would like a little more instruction on running "./ati-driver-installer-10-1-x86.x86_64.run --extract" as I have no idea what I need to put in front of it to extract the contents.
Steve3055

Post by Steve3055 »

Hi Ian,

You'll need to run that command in a terminal window. I'm running Mint 13 (not 14) but I think the process will be the same:

Click "Menu", then "Terminal" to open a terminal window.

In the Terminal, type "cd /home/user/path/to/zip/file", where "user" is your username, and "/path/to/zip/file" is the path to the folder where you downloaded and unzipped the AMD driver file. (This folder should contain the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run file.)

In the Terminal, type "./ati-driver-installer-10-1-x86.x86_64.run --extract" (without the quotes) to extract all the files. You shouldn't need anything in front of the initial dot and slash.

Let me know if any of that is unclear.

- Steve
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

Thanks for the reply which is clear enough but it doesn't work for me.
Instead of cd'ing to the folder, I open a terminal directly in the folder which is essentially the same thing and easier for me. I copied and pasted the code into terminal and it just says "no such file or directory".
Steve3055

Post by Steve3055 »

Sounds like the .run file is not in that folder.

What are the contents of the folder? Does it show the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run file? Or just the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.zip file?

If it just shows the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.zip file, you'll need to unzip that file to get to the .run file. Be sure to unzip into the same folder as the .zip file.

- Steve
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

That is exactly what is in the folder, the original downloaded .zip file and the extracted .run file. It is the latest 13.3 beta3 driver.
Steve3055

Post by Steve3055 »

Let's check that the .run file is executable: Right click on the .run file, click "Properties", then the "Permissions" tab. Verify that "Allow executing file as program" is checked. If it isn't, check it, then close the "Properties" dialog and try the "./ati-driver-installer-10-1-x86.x86_64.run --extract" command again.
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

It is executable, it is the same file I installed the drivers from. Maybe I have the wrong file ?

"amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run "
Steve3055

Post by Steve3055 »

Sorry Ian, my mistake. The correct command should be this:

./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract

I've edited my original post to correct that. Give it a try.

- Steve
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

Thanks for that, I was making the same mistake too, seeing "ati" and reading "amd", :lol:

I have managed to exract a file but it has a different name to the one given and my paths are a little different so I'll leave it for tomorrow as it's a bit late for this kind of thing :?
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

When I turned on my PC this morning the watermark has gone ! I didn't finish going through the 'fix' all I did was to save the 'control' file with "sudo mv /etc/ati/control /etc/ati/control_ORG" and extract the required file from the .run file without putting it in place. There are a couple of very minor issues like GPU Temp monitoring has stopped and the mouse cusor blinks in child windows with Cool Preview but that's probably because I haven't replaced the control file yet. Will do that later but so far it's worked !
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

Well I spoke too soon, I can't load games :(

Also despite modifying the filename and confirming the path is correct, it now reports "cp: cannot stat `/fglrx-install.BsFiL9/common/etc/ati/control': No such file or directory" even though there is ! Of course I am now very confused so if I can manage to put things back to how they where, I'll be back to square one but there is the problem, how do I put the original 'control file' back ?
Steve3055

Post by Steve3055 »

Hi Ian,

If you still want to try to install the newer "control" file, try specifying the full path to it when you copy it with the "cp" command. Something like this:

sudo cp /home/username/path/to/driver/fglrx-install.BsFiL9/common/etc/ati/control /etc/ati/control

where "username" is your user name, and "/path/to/driver" is the path to where you unzipped the .zip file.

If you'd rather just get back to your original file instead, you should be able to restore it from the your saved "_ORG" copy with this command:

sudo mv /etc/ati/control_ORG /etc/ati/control

- Steve
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

Well I got in a bit of a mess with this process and decided to uninstall the Catalyst drivers and start again but I get this message, "One or more files have been altered since installation.
Uninstall will not be completed. See /etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log for details"

The log is not very helpful and gives a method of forcing an uninstall with a warning that it could mess up the system and as I have read of people having major headaches after this process I decided not to try it.

After a reboot;
It seems to be back to normal for now so I am going to leave it until I have more time to work on it.
I have a duplicate OS on a second HDD which I (usually) use for testing these kind of issues before using the solutions on my main OS so I'll start again on the other HDD when I have time.

Just tried a game and it seems to load OK, it's fine on the menu but in-game there is no colour and very limited graphics, just like black and white :(
I'll try to uninstall and re-install the Catalyst drivers again, wish me luck :?

No luck I'm afraid, still getting this "One or more files have been altered since installation.
Uninstall will not be completed. See /etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log for details."
Steve3055

Post by Steve3055 »

Hi Ian,

Not sure what's going on, but apparently when removing and reinstalling ATI drivers, it's important to fully "purge" the system of the old drivers. This thread has some more details and a procedure:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/78906/at ... he-problem

Maybe someone with more driver experience will chime in with more ideas.

- Steve
Ian Clarke

Post by Ian Clarke »

Well I managed to uninstall the drivers by using the --force instruction (scary :( ) and re-install them again and all is as it should be (I think).
I will probably need help to remove the watermark again but I'll just keep looking for a 'foolproof' solution. Next time I try it, I'll do it on my second HDD with duplicate OS first and make notes of everything I do so I know where I'm going wrong or, if I get it right, how to repeat it.

It has been a new experience for me and the first time I have used a Radeon card so am unfamiliar with how things should be.

The main reaon for switching from Nvidia to ATI (AMD ?) after 20 years was because I wanted a good GPU that will play some games but still be cool enough to run passively. I have the Sapphire Radeon 7750 HD Ultimate 1GB GDDR5 up and running very sweet !
To be honest, I was expecting some difficulties as I have read that some people have had problems with ATI cards but I have also read a lot of people having problems with Nvidia cards too, I am very pleased with the performance of the card compared to my previous Nvidia card and installing the correct drivers was no more difficult than anything else in Linux :lol: The watermark is annoying as it's in the way of some of my tools but I will just work around it for now.

Thanks for you help and guidance. :wink:

Ian
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

Steve thanks for posting replacing the ATI control file has worked for me also.
I am a new install of LM 14 Nadia (KDE) and I followed this post first:

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/how- ... egacy.html

so I have Xorg 1.12 and the the catalyst driver (not sure which version).

However first reboot and I had the watermark also, I googled and installed
watermark.sh which crashed my Mint.
I rebooted into Linux Mint recovery mode and at the terminal just uninstalled
and ran:

sudo apt-get remove fglrx-legacy
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

One reboot later and I have the catalyst driver and watermark. After extracting
and replacing control file, watermark has been removed.
My card is actually an ATI HD5750 PCIexpress but reported as 5700 series:

fglrxinfo
display: :0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11672 Compatibility Profile Context

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”