download raring or precise version? - OpenTTD

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thepartypooper

download raring or precise version? - OpenTTD

Post by thepartypooper »

I have read that I can install ubuntu packages in linux mint but on the OpenTTD download page there are two versions available for ubuntu (12.04 and 13.04). So with one should I get cause the mint sowftare manager version is outdated.

openttd download section
http://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable

(mint version: Nadia XCFE 64 bit)

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: download raring or precise version? - OpenTTD

Post by bigj231 »

Mint 14 == Ubuntu 12.10. I don't know which package you should use there. I would personally try the 12.04 version first and if it doesn't work, then the 13.04 version. If they have forums there you should search and see if anyone else had the same question.
Has anything major changed from the version in the repositories? Will you be missing out on multiplayer? If the answer to both of those questions is no, just install the package manager version for convenience.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

So when a package is outdated it means it doesn't work anymore?
That's how i get it from the startpost but i don't agree on that part at all. Just because a package is outdated it doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore so i don't see a point of getting a update from another ppa. Unless you have some problems with the version provided in the software manager of the distro you use. I'm getting the feeling it's more because one wants to have the latest and greatest version. Then again, the latest and greatest doesn't always mean it's stable.... ;) :)
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

Mr. B wrote:...I'm getting the feeling it's more because one wants to have the latest and greatest version. Then again, the latest and greatest doesn't always mean it's stable.... ;) :)
Heh... let's not also forget that the latest and greatest can also leave old (yet arguably capable) hardware in the dust (MESA 9.x and some integrated intel graphics drivers). One could always try to manually downgrade specific packages to older versions that worked perfectly, then "pinning" them in Synaptic....
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

You can try downloading one for 12.10.

Doing a Google search for
OpenTTD ppa "12.10"
seems to show an availability.

Best regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”