Resolution issue

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tabby

Resolution issue

Post by Tabby »

Hi

Just installed Mint 7 (no, I don't want the later versions), and it says the monitor is unknown and only lets me choose 800x600 or 640x480, neither of which is a good choice :) Clicking 'detect monitor' causes nothing to happen. How can I get it to do 1440x900?

thanks
Tabby

Mint 7
Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
Gnome 2.26.1
dual core athlon 64 X2, 1.3G ram, 9.7G partition on SSD
available updates applied
Monitor: AOC 19W
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Resolution issue

Post by hal8000 »

You forgot to mention your graphics card
Post output of these commands:

lspci | grep -i vga

xrandr

You can sometimes set resolution with xrandr.
Later versions of Mint and Ubuntu use kms (kernel mode settings) and will run without
an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
I'm not familiar with that version of Mint but this link may help:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-di ... randr.html

You may get other help as well.
Tabby

Post by Tabby »

Hi

Thank you.

00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (rev a2)

xrandr gives:
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
800x600 61.0*
640x480 60.0

I've gone through the linked xrandr instructions, upto the point it says to type in:
xrandr --addmode VGA1 1440x900_60.00
I can't come up with anything it'll accept in lieu of VGA1.
xrandr -q describes the display as 'Screen 0' but xrandr won't accept that, or any variant of it I can come up with, nor any other possibles mentioned in the article or comments.

I'm scratching my head!

thank you, Tabby
Tabby

Post by Tabby »

I also tried to install a video card driver, in case that addresses it. 3 versions of nvidia accelerated graphics driver are listed, but in each case when selecting one and clicking 'activate' it opens a 'downloading' box that shows no visible progress, then cancels and just displays a box with a no entry sign and 'ok' button.

I presume all repositories relating to Mint7 are now deleted, something that has left all the computers I put 7 on now very crippled.

Tabby

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”