LMDE Debian 7 guru, information, please

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

LMDE Debian 7 guru, information, please

Post by tlcmd »

Want to put the some recently updated programs onto LMDE (AMpache, Clementine, Amarok, but Debian Wheezy has been frozen since July 2012. However, Xenopeek wrote today,
"Debian 7 is to be released on 4th/5th of May. Afterwards you can expect testing repository to get newer versions of programs, as till now only fixes for release bugs of Debian 7 could go into testing repository. However, LMDE has its own repository--so until a new update pack is released you still won't get newer version of your software. Perhaps one of the LMDE gurus here can give some more suggestions as to how you can get the newer versions.

After that Debian 7 is available and installed, how soon will these programs be available via the LMDE package manager or via the specific software website?

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: LMDE Debian 7 guru, information, please

Post by kurotsugi »

I'm not a guru but I'll try to answer it. LMDE is based on debian testing which is the unreleased of debian 7 at this moment. you're actually already using the package from debian 7 now. the package in lmde repository is rarely updated and new packages only comes when update packs are ready. if you want the newest package from debian testing, you can edit your repository list and put debian testing repo there.

anyway, debian almost never had the newest software due to their long step package management system. if you want the newest software you can try to compile it by yourself or use debian unstable repository.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks. Appreciate the advice and info.
Dick
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tlcmd wrote:Thanks. Appreciate the advice and info.
Keep your eye on wheezy-backports, which was recently enabled.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just one word on wheezy-backports
- if you're using the UP, until the next one comes along wheezy-backports might be relatively safe: it's newer software compiled against a newer base than lmde is at the moment (wheezy-stable)
- once we get the next UP, lmde will be newer than wheezy (jessie) and packages from there might not be fully compatible (not in the long run): the idea of backports is having new packages compatible with stable; the idea of lmde is having a system compatible with testing (although with a twist)
====
cleaner would be either "backport" from sid/experimental (if the diff in the version number is substantial) or compiling from source (the best approach)
vayu

Post by vayu »

zerozero wrote: cleaner would be either "backport" from sid/experimental (if the diff in the version number is substantial) or compiling from source (the best approach)
What you describe as cleaner sounds like just what I want to do, backport individual packages from sid/experimental.

I have many questions and confusion around this whole topic. Is there by any chance a summary post or a howto that explains various ways to update packages not available in the normal repositories? I'd like to have a somewhat constant base where I update individual packages when they are available. For example on my desktop computer I run Kubuntu 12.04 but I have the latest of many packages including KDE.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Maybe you find the informations you are searching for here

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=79533

in point 1.5

Don't forget to backup your system before you play with your sources.list
vayu

Post by vayu »

Gerd50 wrote:Maybe you find the informations you are searching for here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=79533