[SOLVED] AM/PM Clock

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
retriever

[SOLVED] AM/PM Clock

Post by retriever »

I have checked "AM/PM' in the clock settings but still get a 24 hour clock format. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
retriever

Re: AM/PM Clock

Post by retriever »

I am really disappointed not to get a reply to my post. I thought the Mint forums were the best.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Its only been one day, sometimes post gets passed over by folks if its not up front, (someone post in the same section your in will do this)
if your talking about the time and date in the panel if you click on it and choose settings you'll see this
datetime.png
there's also another in preferences > date and time you can switch to am/pm or 24 hour
the one in the image above you time codes instead, its the one for the panel that has the calendar in it. you'll see a link that says generate your own date format
to get a am/pm I use this %I:%M%p %p gives you am/pm you can fool around with any setting for this that you want by going to the link which is this place: http://www.foragoodstrftime.com/

If your using mate then I don't know how that is set up because I'm using cinnamon lmde but I take it it should be similar
Hope this answers your questions.
Sam
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thanks Sam. I appreciate your reply. I tried going to "preferences" and AM/PM clock and I checked it - but it made no difference. Maybe it is a bug of some sort.

Thanks anyway-
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

what are you using?
mate or cinnamon?
The one in preferences doesn't change the panel bar time, not that way anyhow, click on the time in the panel bar so it pops up like this
timestuff.jpg
so first clock on the time on the panel, then on date and time settings then this will pop up
popup.jpg
where the arrow is is the time for the panel, to change it follow the instructions I said above for the time codes, the textfield below that one where the arrow is for the the date and stuff in the time/calendar pop up, you can make that anything you want also. The link I gave you shows you almost all the the codes if not all of them.
What I use for mine is: %a %b %e, %I:%M%p for the panel this give me Fri Apr 26, 03:16AM Ya I don't sleep much :lol: you can check out the codes for whatever you want to make it.
If you have issues doing it that way then you can always go through menu>preferences>cinnamon settings>calendar to get to the same place.
Sorry about the other time setting I gave you it doesn't change the panel one, the instructions above does.
If this doesn't do it then you must be on mate but i thought mate did it the same way, not sure though.
Hope it helps
Sam
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you Sam. I'll give it a try.
retriever

Post by retriever »

Is anyone else having this issue, or is it only me?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

retriever wrote:Is anyone else having this issue, or is it only me?
The above didn't work for you?
The one through Cinnamon settings instead of time and date settings?
The one on your panel is set through the cinnamon settings instead, if your running cinnamon.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep did you actually change the Code line the arrow is pointing at and add the %p at the end of it?
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you Sam and everyone for your replies. I did get it fixed with the added code - was just wondering if the problem I encountered is a known bug or if it just occurred to me and possibly a few others.

Thanks again!
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

retriever wrote:Thank you Sam and everyone for your replies. I did get it fixed with the added code - was just wondering if the problem I encountered is a known bug or if it just occurred to me and possibly a few others.

Thanks again!
No problem glad you got it fixed, and nope its not a bug, it's just run under cinnamon instead of the time/date settings for the panel, the menu and panel stuff are cinnamon shell stuff, before you used to do it all through the time date stuff now because the panel is run from cinnamon it is in the cinnamon settings instead under calendar, just like when desklets come down the pipeline soon, you can make analog and digital clocks for your desktop which is run under desklets and in it's code, javascript.
I do mdm themes (your login screen) for the new mdm coming out and run both analog and digitals on them all through a java script, so in short of that long one lol no it's no bug you can just pretty much add a clock anywhere, all do not run under one thing like time/date settings.

Just so you know, in case you don't and to give a bit more understanding, menu and panel are cinnamons' same as desklets, extenstions, applets. it's all run under Cinnamon shell. the frame for your windows (browser, file windows, programs and such) use gtk for the inside of the window stuff and depending on what your using, (cinnamon, uses metacity) for the outerframe, the border around the window, xfce, and the rest uses their own instead of metacity, all depends on what your using, but by the sounds of it your using metacity for the frame.
Glad its working for you now
Sam
A390ST

Post by A390ST »

Any way to drop the zero for time less than 10 o'clock when using AM/PM change as noted?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

if you click on the link I provided or the same one in the calendar it has all the options for you.
The one here: http://www.foragoodstrftime.com/
A390ST

Post by A390ST »

OK, that worked. I am dual booting with Windows 7. Whenever I switch from 7 to Mint, the system clock is increased by 4 hours. (I am in US eastern zone.) The time in Mint is correct as long as I continue to stay in Mint-no matter how many times I boot. Booting in Seven and changing the system clock, and staying in Seven the time continues to read correctly.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:shock: that's a first for me hearing that one. Maybe someone else can help you with that one.
A390ST

Post by A390ST »

I found this link that may help with my problem: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/tips/time.html It talks of how during boot, Linux will copy the computer hardware clock to system clock. It says that the hardware clock may be set to local time or UTC/GMT time. When I run"date" I get the time just as shown in the task bar. Or if I run "hwclock" I get the same time. However, if I go into BIOS I will get the "system time" to be that plus 4 hours. The article speaks of changing the clock from local to UTC by turning off a switch in /etc/sysconfig/clock. That sounds like what I need to do, however I need a little instruction into editing that file.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

A390ST wrote:turning off a switch in /etc/sysconfig/clock. That sounds like what I need to do, however I need a little instruction into editing that file.
I'm on lmde but I searched for this file on my system and it doesn't have it at all in that directory. Not sure what system the person was using who wrote this one, but this one will not work as it is not there to change the switch.
Maybe someone with more experience in changing the system clock setup can help you out for lmde.
I don't use a dual boot either so I'm limited on my end.
Hopefully someone else can help you on this one.
A390ST

Post by A390ST »

Using information on this website: http://linux.die.net/man/8/hwclock I figured out how to change the hwclock for my installation of Linux Mint to show local time instead of UTC. Haven't any other posters running a dual boot run into this?

Return to “LMDE Archive”