Change default MintMenu search engine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Change default MintMenu search engine

Postby chezbutt on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 am

So I have already found out how to add plain (non Mint-branded) Google back to the search engine bar in Firefox and I was wondering how I can apply that to the MintMenu's default search engine? For example, when I open up the menu and start typing I am given the options to search Google, Wikipedia, look up term in the dictionary etc. Can I even change the prefered search engine?

Maybe a MintMenu gui tweak and customization tool is needed? I can think of other features and behaviour modifications that would be nice to have.
chezbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Change default MintMenu search engine

Postby chezbutt on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 am

So I've done some digging and found that "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py" contains this entry in the code:

def search_google(self, widget):
text = self.searchEntry.get_text()
text = text.replace(" ", "+")
os.system("xdg-open \"http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683415331144861350%3Atsq8didf9x0&ie=utf-8&sa=Search&q=" + text + "\" &")
self.mintMenuWin.hide()

If I replace the google search url with something different (say google.ca), is that all I would need to do in order to change the default mintMenu search engine? Would I need to recompile it, or just save the changes to the script as root and restart the computer?
chezbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change default MintMenu search engine

Postby N<=>B on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I have changed url in wikipedia search from en.wikipedia.org... to ru.wikipedia.org and after relogin i can search on russian.
N<=>B
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications