User permission to use USB

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dld
Level 1
Level 1

User permission to use USB

Post by dld »

I am trying LMDE as a possible replacement for my MATE systems. (That "no more upgrades" caught my eye.) I have been moving along; most things work fine. I did have to download and install humanity packages from an Ubuntu archive. But now I am stopped cold. File /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules has been changed substantially. I used to be able to edit that file and give USB 0666 permission so that I could run a SDR (software defined radio) program as a user. I have copied the lines from the old default.rules file to the LMDE file; I have edited other files in rules.d that seemed to have something to do with USB. Nothing has given me user permission. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: User permission to use USB SOLVED

Post by dld »

I finally solved the access problem with file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules with contents:

# 'libusb' device nodes
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", GROUP="dialout"

I don't know why a MODE="0666" simply will not work. Someone must understand the udev rules well enough to explain. I did change the mode of the /dev/bus/usb... file using chmod as root, but that is not something that I want to do every day. I was placed in group dialout when installing LMDE; I suppose other groups might be used as well as dialout.

Return to “LMDE Archive”