Mint14 - Multiple Graphic-Cards & Multi Monitoring

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MadBlue

Mint14 - Multiple Graphic-Cards & Multi Monitoring

Post by MadBlue »

Hi everybody,

I started using the Xfce Version of Mint14 on my ThinkPad T430 some weeks a go and I'm very happy with it. So I want to switch my big Workstation to Mint14 too.
I also was able to enable Desktop-Extending mode for Multi-Monitors on my T430 while using the Xfce 4.12 PPA for Ubuntu. Works realy nice.
(So on the GUI-Software side itself I'm fine I think.)

But on my Workstation the situation isn't that easy. I'm using a nVidia GeForce GTX570 in the second PEG-Slot und a nVidia GeForce GTS8600 in the first PEG Slot.
I using three screens, two on the GTX570 and one on the GTS8600.

When I boot mint, it come up with the GeForce GTS8600 and only the one Display connected to it is working.
On the two Displys wich are connected to the GTX570 there is a strange artifact on the upper level of the screens (exactly the same on both) and it's not working. I also have no choice of selecting this screen in the Xcfe Display Manager.
I tried to install the newes nVidia Linux driver for the GTX570. Since that my workstatation don't whant to boot anymore. (I have a paralel Win7 installation... this is working sill working fine... even with all the Displys ;) )

Is there any possibility to get both graphic cards propably working on mint14? Would be great if anybody have a good idea to this topic!

PS: sorry for my bad English. I'm not used to whrite or speak English...

Greetings,

Sören
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MadBlue

Re: Mint14 - Multiple Graphic-Cards & Multi Monitoring

Post by MadBlue »

I tried to instal the nVidia driver agin, following this tut: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=117643

Worked well. Now the driveris installed and the second and third display don't have any artifacts anymore. But they still don't work. In the Displaymanager I still can only select one Display.

Any idea how to activate the second graphics card under mint?

Sören
MadBlue

Re: Mint14 - Multiple Graphic-Cards & Multi Monitoring

Post by MadBlue »

wel...

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a
with the -a now all Displays are working. But I can't configure the Displays of the second graphics card. the xcfe display manager doesn't worke anymore, arandr only shows the display wich is connected with the first graphics card.

I don't have any idea to solve this.
Next step would be to witch to another graphics card. But this wouln'd be nice. I like my config and because my workstation is watercooled a change of the gfx card will cause a lot of work and costs...

Help would be grade!

Sören

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”