Mate 1.6 released - Someone already tried?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SPV

Re: Mate 1.6 released - Someone already tried?

Post by SPV »

I've using latest mintMenu on Mint 13 with MATE 1.6 and have found that right mouse click on menu entry in Applications page doesn't work - mintMenu does minimize back to the panel after doing clicking. At the same time in Favourites page the same right click invokes the context menu as it should be. Can anybody confirm this issue?
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

SPV wrote:I've using latest mintMenu on Mint 13 with MATE 1.6 and have found that right mouse click on menu entry in Applications page doesn't work - mintMenu does minimize back to the panel after doing clicking. At the same time in Favourites page the same right click invokes the context menu as it should be. Can anybody confirm this issue?
Yeap. On my system (also Mint 13+Mate 1.6) I must "click and hold" PPM in apps menu.
With "normal" PPM click shows nothing. MintMenu stay in place.
In favourities PPM works ok.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

It's probably better to report all these issues to https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu/issues
MartinaNeumayer

sab432 wrote:Just upgraded to Mate 1.6. I am using MINT 13 mate with compiz and emerald. They are working fine but I did'nt like few things..
1) The new Mint menu does not have a search box where I could quickly type name of an application and search it. Also I did not find a way to change the background color of MATE menu or its transparency. I guess there should be alternative menu apps available which I can use or may be a way to bring the search box back.
On my (v.5.4.1) is transparency and search box, as You can see on screenshot:
PPM on MintMenu -> Properties and there is all :)
sab432

Post by sab432 »

sab432 wrote:Just upgraded to Mate 1.6. I am using MINT 13 mate with compiz and emerald. They are working fine but I did'nt like few things..

1) The new Mint menu does not have a search box where I could quickly type name of an application and search it. Also I did not find a way to change the background color of MATE menu or its transparency. I guess there should be alternative menu apps available which I can use or may be a way to bring the search box back.

2) If i set one panel to the top. It works but when I open any application its title bar hides behind the panel on top . I have to bring that down every time. So I decided to remove the panel on the top. I am sure there would a workaround for this
Ok I have found a workaround for my problems. The new mint menu with applications,places,system was missing a search box where applications could be searched. So I installed Cardapio(another menu applet) and added it to my panel . Cardapio has search box similar to older mint menu.

The issue of title bar going behind the panel on top, each time I would open a new Window was solved using compiz. I just enabled "Place WIndows" plugin and it was working fine.

But I am still unable to change the background color or transparency of the Menu. Something which was present in older MintMenu.
eMcE wrote:On my (v.5.4.1) is transparency and search box, as You can see on screenshot:
PPM on MintMenu -> Properties and there is all :)
I don't know why is that. May be because you have not fully updated to Mate 1.6 because Mate 1.6 looks like this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ri7sPSbRONk/U ... -1.6_3.png

Its menu has Application,Places,System without a search box. If I can get my old MintMenu back then it will be great :)
MartinaNeumayer

sab432 wrote: I don't know why is that. May be because you have not fully updated to Mate 1.6 because Mate 1.6 looks like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ri7sPSbRONk/U ... -1.6_3.png
Its menu has Application,Places,System without a search box. If I can get my old MintMenu back then it will be great :)
My Mint is fully up to date.
On your screenshot is "Control Center" not "MintMenu".
In 1.6 "Control Center" has just filtering box and this is normal.

Youre mistaken two different things..
Youre talking about Mate Menu, not MintMenu.
yes, Mate Menu has "apps, places, system" tabs, but MintMenu has not.

In Mint OOTB are three different menus, which can be added to the panel:
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

One of my biggest irritations with the upgrade to 1.6 was the weather notification being turned on by default - but that's now fixed (and can be toggled by the user), so despite having to spend 10 minutes getting my panels etc back together, I'm pleased. MATE is the best DE out there IMO :mrgreen:.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
rimbaum

Post by rimbaum »

EDIT:

Got Mint Menu to mostly work. Now I'm just having problems with the themes. I go to customize colors, and it keeps saying "This control theme does not support color schemes", even on themes that previously allowed me to! In addition, it shows some windows in an ugly 'default' theme rather than my current one, and certain right-click menus (like my wireless connection).

Is there any way to fix this?
MartinaNeumayer

rimbaum wrote:EDIT:

Got Mint Menu to mostly work. Now I'm just having problems with the themes. I go to customize colors, and it keeps saying "This control theme does not support color schemes", even on themes that previously allowed me to! In addition, it shows some windows in an ugly 'default' theme rather than my current one, and certain right-click menus (like my wireless connection).

This happend when you use GTK2 theme. Some themes are GTK2 only.
Best way is using themes which supporting both GTK2 and GTK3.
When you copy theme to: .themes only your user can use this theme.
Root remain "unthemed" (with default theme)
To theme root apps, copy theme to: /usr/share/themes/
rimbaum

Post by rimbaum »

eMcE wrote:
rimbaum wrote:EDIT:

This happend when you use GTK2 theme. Some themes are GTK2 only.
Best way is using themes which supporting both GTK2 and GTK3.
When you copy theme to: .themes only your user can use this theme.
Root remain "unthemed" (with default theme)
To theme root apps, copy theme to: /usr/share/themes/
Is this regarding the colors or the menus?

The menus I can see, and it's a mild annoyance but something I can live with since it doesn't even show up that often. Not being able to change my theme colors, on ANY theme? that is something I'm not gonna be able to let go until it gets fixed. If anyone has any suggestions at all, I'm willing to try them. Not usually one to tinker with my system, but I'm not afraid of it, either.
no.one

Post by no.one »

Hi there!

I was wondering if MATE 1.6 will be in the LM13 backports, like MATE 1.4?
I upgraded to MATE 1.6 following the http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download tutorial but now I have a lot of packages 'no longer required' but I suspect that I do need them.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
mate-desktop-environment is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
mate-netspeed mate-corba ffmpegthumbnailer-caja libmatenotify
libnet-dbus-perl python-mate python-mate-menu gnome-common mintmenu
libxml-parser-perl mate-common mozo libtie-ixhash-perl mate-conf-editor
mate-user-share mate-text-editor libmatecanvas mate-bluetooth mate-vfs
gtk-doc-tools docbook-to-man autopoint libfam0 intltool libmatebluetooth
python-corba libmatecorba mate-vfs-common libmatecomponentui
mate-sensors-applet mate-window-manager gir1.2-mate-menu mate-conf-common
libmateconf mate-doc-utils mate-system-tools libmatesensorsappletplugin
libmatecomponent libmateui liboobs-1-5 mate-conf libxml-xpath-perl
mint-artwork-mate python-support libmate-common libmate mate-mime-data
system-tools-backends mintdesktop python-mate-desktop libmatevfs
libxml-twig-perl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
If I remove them I fear that I might break my LM13 installation.
Any advise?

Best regards.
SPV

Post by SPV »

mate-corba, mate-vfs, mateconf-editor and others packages from 1.4 are deprecated since 1.6 version. Try to ask at forums.mate-desktop.org
marsa

Post by marsa »

So, I updated Mate 1.6 yesterday and only restarted it today. And yes, It does back to regular gnome2 display (with 2 panels at the top and bottom). The problems I found, so far are: 1) The Desktop Settings doesn't work, so I can't use composite or change other settings there. and 2) I can't find the famous Mint Menu applet. :(

Does anyone has any solution already?
SPV

Post by SPV »

marsa wrote:Does anyone has any solution already?
1) Launch mate-window-properties
2) Upgrade mintMenu to the latest version from http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Olivia
marsa

Post by marsa »

SPV wrote:
marsa wrote:Does anyone has any solution already?
1) Launch mate-window-properties
2) Upgrade mintMenu to the latest version from http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Olivia
The 1) only solved the compositing, tho. because what I mean by desktop setting includes to set my button layout to the left (mac style).
The mintmenu runs normally, until I changed the schorcut key to open it. And i can't just simply restart it. I got it work after remove then reinstall it.

Anyway, turns out that I found another problem. Do you guys know that there's an applet called timer (or something, i don't really remember but it works as a timer). Well, i guess it's missing too. I tried to find it in olivia's repo. What was the package name?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

WOW I've installed Mate1.6 on Ubuntu 13.04 and added Mintmenu and netspeed from linux Mint repository and it rocks. Compiz is runnig very smooth but occasionally when it is runnig I can no longer minimize open windows :( That should be a bug :D The best part of it is the new theme called"menta" it has it's green and fantastic :D Waiting for Mint 15 Mate to ditch Ubuntu and I'm sure Mint gang will do their magic to it and fix everything! With Mint life is much easier :lol:

Return to “MATE”