Booting and applications much slower

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rockito

Booting and applications much slower

Post by rockito »

Since two weeks Mint Daryna boots very slowly, a very long time you see 'Volume Manager' before it's loaded.
And: all applications start very late, sometimes one minute after clicking the icon.
Very special reacts evolution: it always freezes after writing around three words.
I don't know what happens, but there were some changes in my hardware and maybe it's the cause.
I changed my IDE disks against one big SATA disk and I doubeled my memory from 1 GB to 2GB. But moving the DATA worked and I think after these hardware changes there was no problem.
But a few days later I changed my internet connection. Before I had a DSL connection through a router, now I have an internet connection through digital tv cable and a router. But the connection itself works, even in a network with a windows pc (that has no problem).
So I really don't know where to look after the cause of the problem. Which log files could help?
Thanks for help!
Rockito
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rockito

Re: Booting and applications much slower

Post by rockito »

Problem solved by myself!

I tried many things, so I really don't know what the solution was:

1. In /etc/modprobe.d/aliases I deactivated "alias net-pf-10 ipv6'
2. in 'gnome-session-properties' I saved the current session (after this I deleted the session-file)

Now booting is no problem and all applications are fast again!
Fred

Re: Booting and applications much slower

Post by Fred »

rockito,

There is a lesson here. Linux is very stable. It is extremely rare that it just breaks itself. It is almost always the result of something from the outside acting on it. Some change you made or some program you installed, etc.

Conversely, Linux doesn't just fix itself either. Again it just responds to some outside action.

If you make a habit of keeping notes of your actions and changes, you can learn a lot more from your mistakes and fixes.

This isn't a habit most Windows users ever develop because Windows isn't stable enough to make this effort very rewarding. Windows has a habit of breaking itself without your input. Note keeping can be much more rewarding for Linux however.

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”