Can't connect to Mint 14 with x11vnc on triple-boot netbook

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't connect to Mint 14 with x11vnc on triple-boot netbook

Postby wgtetz on Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 pm

First, the details:

Hardware - Acer Aspire One netbook (not sure which exact model no.)
Boot setup - Triple-boot: Zorin 6, Ubuntu 13.04, Mint 14 32-bit (XFCE)
VNC server - x11vnc
VNC client - remmina

Second, the problem:

When my netbook boots up Mint 14 I'm unable to connect at all to the x11vnc server with remmina. I'm puzzled because I have the exact same setup in Zorin and Ubuntu and can connect without a hitch. I've run
Code: Select all
x11vnc -storepasswd

and set up a password. I've also setup my .conf file using
sudo gedit /etc/init/x11vnc.conf

and input the following parameters:
start on login-session-start
script
/usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /home/bill/.vnc/passwd -shared -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
end script

Okay, looking at that and digging through the system I already see part of the problem. There is no folder "var/run/lightdm", at least none that I can see, so it won't run on startup because the script points to a directory that doesn't exist; and there is one on Ubuntu (looking at it on a separate laptop to check). So if that's not going to work, how do I set up x11vnc to start up at the login screen?

Many thanks in advance,

Bill

P.S. I'd like to avoid anything dealiing with Gnome Display Manager if I can. My experience has been that if you get the login password wrong even once, it won't let you try log in period after that and it won't let you reboot without physically pressing the power button - kind of impossible if you're connecting remotely.
wgtetz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other networking topics