Wireless drops and asks for password every time

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dr00z

Wireless drops and asks for password every time

Post by Dr00z »

Hi,
I have installed Linux Mint 14 64 bit (dual booted with windows 7) and everything went fine until I tried to use the internet and the WIFI started to make troubles.
The problem is, that it drops down every few minutes and asks for my wifi password (when in windows my wifi worked perfectly).
The main thing that I don't understand is, why does it ask me for the password, when the network manager has it and should connect and athenticate automatically no matter what.

Anyway here's some info:

Code: Select all

Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: 8I945GZME-RH version: x.x Bios: Award version: F6 date: 08/29/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium D CPU (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2793.232 MHz 2: 2793.232 MHz
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: skge 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:0f:ea:5b:36:62
           Card-2: Atheros AR9271 802.11n driver: ath9k_htc 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: f4:ec:38:88:51:25
           WAN IP: None Detected! IF: eth0 ip: N/A IF: wlan0 ip: N/A 
iw/ifconfig:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr f4:ec:38:88:51:25  
          inet6 addr: fe80::f6ec:38ff:fe88:5125/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:95753 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:62343 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:109413106 (109.4 MB)  TX bytes:6831304 (6.8 MB)
dmesg when the connection drops:

[ 1678.310434] wlan0: 1c:af:f7:10:25:c6 denied association (code=12)
[ 1678.310777] wlan0: deauthenticating from 1c:af:f7:10:25:c6 by local choice (reason=3)
I hope that you can help me,
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kflee2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wireless drops and asks for password every time

Post by kflee2000 »

I also encountered a related problem and I think the maintianer should know about . I have a Linuxmint 12 with Netgear usb wifi and it work fine except when the router is down or the connection failed . Since my machine is un-attended , the repeat ask of user for password ended up the system with hundred of processes asking the same thing .

I suggest that the script be modified so that on each ask of passwd , it check the previously same process and kill the older unanswered request .

Rgds
Dr00z

Post by Dr00z »

I also encountered a related problem and I think the maintianer should know about . I have a Linuxmint 12 with Netgear usb wifi and it work fine except when the router is down or the connection failed . Since my machine is un-attended , the repeat ask of user for password ended up the system with hundred of processes asking the same thing .

I suggest that the script be modified so that on each ask of passwd , it check the previously same process and kill the older unanswered request .

Rgds
That's another problem, the question is why does it even ask for password, when the connection drops because it supposed to be saved in the network manager (or the kde wallet) and connect automatically.

by the way, I updated the post with a dmesg that I get when the connection drops.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

That's another problem, the question is why does it even ask for password, when the connection drops because it supposed to be saved in the network manager (or the kde wallet) and connect automatically.
Yep that is a problem with nm-manager poorly designed and not implemented very well for robustness.

Only way to recover is cancel the password prompt. And then click on wireless to disconnect and click on to reconnect wireless.
Clicking on ok on password prompt doesn't work.
kflee2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kflee2000 »

In Linux, most process would create a PID so that one can kill it easily when needed. To solve my problem, at least temporary, I guess one can write a little cron script so that it will locate the process that asking user for wifi connect password and kill them as necessary. Does anyone know the name that start up this asking password process and where pid is stored?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

shell script to restart network-manager— not from the terminal
http://askubuntu.com/questions/142104/s ... e-terminal

Maybe something in there. Wonder if a nm-manager restart would cancel those password prompts tho?
warprunner

Post by warprunner »

Here is a thread from Ubuntu forum. Not exactly the same problem but may help.
This is the same reason I switched from Ubuntu 13.04 to Mint 14. The wireless keep going off. Now with Mint it actually reconnects. (I like Mint far better)
Ubuntu 12.10 didn't have this issue. I am thinking it's something in the upgrade or code causes it and I actually believe there is a Bug report on it. Not sure but I have played with everything and even adjusted my DHCP lease time with no solution. With Mint I only disconnect about 1 time a day.
See if this doesn't help.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12373853

Return to “Networking”