Hi Y'all! Mint is AMAZING! Just what I was looking for...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SteveFAL

Hi Y'all! Mint is AMAZING! Just what I was looking for...

Post by SteveFAL »

I'm Steve and am new to Mint (13 w/MATE) and could not be happier. I've never gotten excited about an operating system before, but the Mint team has really hit this one out of the ballpark! It's just what I was looking for.
I've been using PCs since the mid '80s (with DOS on an 8088 box when I was a college freshman) and have been through all the iterations of Windows from 3.1 through XP SP3. I switched to Ubuntu in 2007 after XP crashed & burned, ironically while downloading my first copy of Linux(!) I could not reinstall or recover Windows beceause somehow my (corporate) product key had gotten leaked onto the Internet and subsequently blacklisted by M$.
Ubuntu with Gnome 2.x did everything Windows did, but better and (much) faster. I dropped Windows like a bad habit and have never looked back.
With the advent of Unity however, Ubuntu totally lost its appeal to me even without considering the performance hit. That big ugly docky thing (barf!) on the left that could not be moved or customized significantly (and could only have certian types of things put on) it was heinous at best. It was like an ugly-duckling copy of Apple's noob desktop. OK, maybe I just have too many years of using a traditional desktop environment, and I do understand Canonical's reasoning (though not their execution), but there was no way I was going Unity. XFCE was OK but kind of bland and not that flexible, and KDE is, well, KDE, so I stuck with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS w/Gnome 2.x until support ended last month.
After reading all the great reviews of Mint and researching the MATE vs. Cinnamon differences I finally downloaded and installed Mint 13/MATE last week. (I'll give Cinnamon a try at some point too.) Installation was incredibly simple. (Despite 20+ years of using computers on and off, I'm no guru or "power user" by any stretch, and my command line skills are basic at best.) Setting up and customizing the desktop was as simple and intuitive as it gets. Little things like separate theming and styles of the main menu were delicious icing on the Minty cake. MATE is all the things Gnome 2 could have been and more. Mint also boots and shuts down much faster than Ubuntu 10.04 did, which is a big plus in my book.
I could go on and on, but the Mint community knows the rest. Speaking of which, the community & its website are fantastic and I hope to find a way to contribute.
THANK YOU Mint developers, for keeping the traditional desktop alive and growing!
--Steve I.
May 2013
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hi Y'all! Mint is AMAZING! Just what I was looking for..

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Forums, Steve. MATE is also my favorite Mint desktop environment. It's simple yet powerful.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welvome aboard. It's good to read about your linux experiences.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to Mint :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”