How to install KDE on LMDE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to install KDE on LMDE?

Postby Gonzalo_VC on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Gee! Why there is no KDE official version of LMDE? or any other than Mate and Cinnamon for LMDE!!??
Is there any other better way to install KDE on LMDE that "upgrading to SID"??

Thanks!!
Gonzalo_VC
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install KDE on LMDE?

Postby xenopeek on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:48 am

Made you your own topic. Others here will probably have a good recommendation for how to install KDE on LMDE (installing kde-full will install the entire KDE SC). Fred will be working on a community edition of LMDE KDE, but that is not yet ready.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby catweazel on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Gonzalo_VC wrote:Is there any other better way to install KDE on LMDE that "upgrading to SID"??

I'm trying it now for my own benefit from the Mint Debian repos so I'll let you know how it goes.
All I've had to do so far is simply change the repos to point to a fast mirror then:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install kde-full

Edit: Well, fancy that, it worked. KDE 4.8.4 is up and running. Now all I have to do is figure out where to get 4.10.1.

The UI is a bit rough so it'll need theming, but other than that, it all looks fine.

Cheers.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby marlar on Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 am

I would like to install KDE as well.

However, I have one question: Is it still LMDE after installing KDE? I mean, will it still be the same semi-rolling release and will get all relevant updates in the future?
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Fri May 03, 2013 10:57 am

marlar wrote: Is it still LMDE after installing KDE? I mean, will it still be the same semi-rolling release and will get all relevant updates in the future?

Yes. KDE is just a collection of packages, and those packages are available from the LMDE repository. They will be updated through there, as will all your other installed packages. You will just be using KDE as your desktop environment, instead of MATE or Cinnamon.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions