Trouble printing in Samba

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sullik

Trouble printing in Samba

Post by sullik »

Hi,
I use Mint14 Cinnamon now (used to be Mate) on one desktop and one laptop - works great. Samba also works fine except for printing, can not "get permission" to print. I cannot find any window/terminalcommand to establish/change the password that the system demands. Please help!! PS! The png file is partly in Norwegian - "Ledig" means Available. I also have a testparm -v output in Terminal but do not know how to get the whole file in a Screenshot.
Printer Feilmelding.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trouble printing in Samba

Post by altair4 »

Give this a shot:

Edit smb.conf:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Find this section:
[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = no
read only = yes
create mask = 0700
And change "guest ok = no" to "guest ok = yes":
[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
create mask = 0700
Then restart samba and cups:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service cups restart
Wait a few minutes for the network to reset itself after a samba restart and try printing again.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
sullik

Post by sullik »

HI,
Thanks for your advice, this should be ok as I find it.
Regards Johannes
Smb.conf.png
sullik

Post by sullik »

I guess my last entry did not express anything really, fact is there is no progress here. I have no problems with Samba networking between pc's, it's all down to accessing the printer connected to my desktop from my laptop that have IP adress 10.0.0.26. Both machines have Mint14 Cinnamon 64bit installed. I have no problems accessing CUPS throu localhost 631 and my admin or root passwords are both accepted.
Regards Johannes

Here is my CUPS.conf file;

johs@johs-ThinkPad-T61 ~ $ sudo cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
[sudo] password for johs:
LogLevel debug
MaxLogSize 0
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS dnssd
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
WebInterface Yes
<Location />
# Allow remote access...
Order allow,deny
Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
</Location>
<Policy default>
JobPrivateAccess default
JobPrivateValues default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
SubscriptionPrivateValues default
<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.0.26
</Limit>
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.0.26
</Limit>
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.0.26
</Limit>
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.0.26
</Limit>
<Limit CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.0.26
</Limit>
<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.0.26
</Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
JobPrivateAccess default
JobPrivateValues default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
SubscriptionPrivateValues default
<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>
johs@johs-ThinkPad-T61 ~ $
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The Printer you are trying to access via Samba is: MG3100-series on CUPS Server: INGE-DESKTOP

You are trying to access that printer from CUPS Client: JOHS-THINKPAD-T61

[1] The change to smb.conf I suggested was to be done on INGE-DESKTOP. Is that where you made the change?

[2] Why do you have an "Allow from 10.0.0.26" on the Cups Client. That's usually used to restrict who can access a printer service on a server not a client. And it's not clear to me who 10.0.0.26 is - the server or the client.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You and I never seem to be in the forum at the same time and I'm shutting down for the day so let me leave you with another way to do this:

1st: Remove the "Allow from 10.0.0.26" since I don't know why it's there.

2nd: You are trying to access a printer on a Linux machine from another Linux machine so there's no reason to use Samba as you can connect directly using CUPS.

From JOHS-THINKPAD-T61:

Add a new printer named something other than the one you already have. Instead of using Samba use IPP:
NewPrinterIPP.png
IT can be in any of these formats:

ipp://WORKGROUP/INGE-DESKTOP:631/printers/MG3100-serises
OR

ipp://INGE-DESKTOP:631/printers/MG3100-serises
If you have the avahi-daemon service running and not blocking it with a firewall you can also use this

ipp://INGE-DESKTOP.local:631/printers/MG3100-serises
And if you have static ip addresses you can also use that:

ipp://192.168.0.100:631/printers/MG3100-serises
sullik

Re: Trouble printing in Samba SOLVED

Post by sullik »

It's a hell of weather here right now but for me the Sun Shines. Realized that I had put to much rubbish in the machine lately and reinstalled Cinnamon yesterday. Using static IP adresses I decided to try that way. Opened Printers from the Meneu, entered IP adress and viola - job done, it can't be easier.
Big hug!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!
Regards Johannes
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Normally, I use SAMBA to find my networked printer. It is attached to a NAS box, not a computer. Normally, it works this way, but with the LTS 13 KDE, it does not.

If I knew how to find the network IP of the printer, I could try it that way, but how to find it is not explained above.
sullik

Post by sullik »

I am on thin ice here, surely someone can correct me if needed. This is the secret (I think); Cinnamon has one Printer app that surely has it's shortcomings but do have this neat "seek" for printer, when found put in the, in your case, NAS's IP and viola, you are on. It can't be simpler. As for KDE I have no idea, looked at it once but have no knowledge at all.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Although the printer's manual indicates that a test page includes the configuration, it does not, so that is no help.

When I use arp-a, it finds the NAS box, but it doesn't show the printer's IP.

# arp -a
DNS-323a (192.168.2.10) at 34:08:04:31:e5:95 [ether] on eth0

And, if I understand this one correctly...

# nmap 192.168.1.10/24 --system-dns

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-05-04 02:15 EDT
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 206.26 seconds
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@ddalley, you need to start your own topic. This one has been resolved.

BTW,
When I use arp-a, it finds the NAS box, but it doesn't show the printer's IP.

# arp -a
DNS-323a (192.168.2.10) at 34:08:04:31:e5:95 [ether] on eth0
The printer doesn't have a separate ip address. Your NAS box is acting like a print server so the printer ip address is the same as the nas box.

Return to “Networking”