Code: Select all

zerozero@wine ~ $ apt policy libssl0.9.8
libssl0.9.8:
  Installed: 0.9.8o-7
  Candidate: 0.9.8o-7
  Version table:
 *** 0.9.8o-7 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libssl0.9.8 v. 0.9.8o-7 is one of those obsolete pkgs that exists in lmde's iso (there's more, the most famous being compiz :wink: ) that is not available anymore in the debian archive
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... ibssl0.9.8
not in the release lmde's follow anyway: the pkg we have in lmde is the one coming from squeeze and there's now a new pkg in sid
somewhere during wheezy/testing libssl0.9.8 dependants should be update to libssl1.0.0
http://packages.debian.org/search?searc ... ds=openssl
because of that libssl0.9.8 is not a multiarch lib but because we are now in multiarch we can install the i386 from the frozen pool and solve the old dependency (at least this is what i believe is happening here :shock:)

^^ i hope this makes some sense :mrgreen:
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Multiarch, ia32-libs, Wine, Skype & others

Post by ddurdle »

zerozero wrote:what i can see:

zerozero@wine ~ $ apt policy libssl0.9.8
libssl0.9.8:
  Installed: 0.9.8o-7
  Candidate: 0.9.8o-7
  Version table:
 *** 0.9.8o-7 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libssl0.9.8 v. 0.9.8o-7 is one of those obsolete pkgs that exists in lmde's iso (there's more, the most famous being compiz :wink: ) that is not available anymore in the debian archive
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... ibssl0.9.8
not in the release lmde's follow anyway: the pkg we have in lmde is the one coming from squeeze and there's now a new pkg in sid
somewhere during wheezy/testing libssl0.9.8 dependants should be update to libssl1.0.0
http://packages.debian.org/search?searc ... ds=openssl
because of that libssl0.9.8 is not a multiarch lib but because we are now in multiarch we can install the i386 from the frozen pool and solve the old dependency (at least this is what i believe is happening here :shock:)

^^ i hope this makes some sense :mrgreen:
Thanks! This makes perfect sense. I had read about 1.0.0 being a perfect substitute for 0.9.8. I hate obsolete software :)

I toyed with the idea of modifying the application's .deb for change the requirement to 1.0.0 and I may try this at a later date. Since it's working now with manually installing the 0.9.8 i386 package from the repository, I'll keep it as-is.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this is an ongoing process, i'm learning as i go here (specially because multiarch is still a moving target in debian :shock: )
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

zerozero wrote:this is an ongoing process, i'm learning as i go here (specially because multiarch is still a moving target in debian :shock: )

Tell me about it :) that can be said for a great deal regarding linux.

I spent the day troubleshooting an issue with a 32bit bloatware application after converting to multiarch, but I finally got it working.

It was my 3rd 64bit system. The first 64bit system I had upgraded (when UP6 was first released), I had migrated to multiarch and troubleshooted this 32bit bloatware that wouldn't work afterwards. After working through the issues (only took about an hour -- documenting as I went), I got it working. I converted another 64bit system last week, applied the same workarounds, and no problem. A few days ago I started the conversion (I had already updated to UP6 on it but didn't do the multiarch conversion) on my main 64bit system. And of course, it didn't go as planned. I tried to do things a bit better. Like for the application requiring a 32bit libssl0.9.8, instead of simply removing the dependency and forcing the install (which worked in the two other cases), I installed the proper 32bit libssl0.9.8 was was pointed out in the previous post. But when I started to fix the issues with that 32bit bloatware application last night, it wasn't going as planned. There were problems that I had previously not encountered. I tried to follow the original workaround I devised but there were too many 32bit libraries that were missing that didn't pose an issue on the other two systems. What is super-odd is that the other two machines were actual clones of this machine (let's call this system A) -- one was cloned back prior to UP4 (let's call this system B) and the other system after UP5 (let's call this system C). System A and B differ greatly since they forked off much easier, but since system C was forked off just prior to christmas for the sole purpose of doing some testing on the multiarch conversion, system A and C are most similar. I spent last night trying to get the app working, and today I spent about 8 hours comparing system A and B to devise what was missing. I finally gave up on that compared A and C. I should have compared A and C firstly since they are most similar. I was essentially doing a "dpkg --get selections | grep i386" comparison between the two systems. I had previously used ldd among other tools to devise if there was a missing 32bit library and everything checked out okay, but when I did the comparison using dkpg I found a slew of "deinstall" packages on system A that were "install" on system C. So after re-installing them, I finally got the application working (after spending all day on it). Like I said, the only thing different between system A and C is manually installing libssl0.9.8 vs removing it as a dependency in a completely unrelated 32bit application (the problem 32bit bloatware application doesn't even use libssl).

Anyways..... to end off on this multiarch conversion nightmare, I have one more system to convert, also having this bloatware application installed, but I'll resort back to the original workaround list (removing libssl0.9.8 dependency) instead of deviating. I have a lot more 32bit software on this last system then on my other 3 systems, so I'm expecting a lot of new issues to arise.

Documented the particulars on how to install/fix that particular application here -> http://ddurdle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/this ... about.html
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Had this issue using eclipse and androids sdk as well.
To fix this I added the following:

apt-get install libstdc++6:i386 libgcc1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libncurses5:i386
To run the emulator I also needed the following:

apt-get install libsdl1.2debian:i386
It runs now :D
Just thought I'd toss this in the mix for anyone having issues with androids constant error of looking for the ia32 libs which are not needed anymore to run it.
Also do the other stuff stated in the begiining of this post.
Sam
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi sam :D long time no see you

tks a lot for this additional info 8)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Hey Zero glad to see your still around :D
I been here all along just been real busy with the other crap I do, finally sort of taking a break from it, but I'll be around more with the html5 fun stuff you folks added to have fun with :lol: kind of a nice break making some of those animated themes.
And no problem with the info, it kind of freaked me out at first when androids sdk crapped out on me because of the ia32 thing I had to dig in quick and find out why or no work would get done, I like the multiarch better :D less crap to deal with and install by the looks of things.
JoeNotCharles

Post by JoeNotCharles »

I have a package that's distributed as an installer shell script, not a .deb. When I run it, the shell script tries to untar and then exec a binary (a packaged copy of java), and it outputs:

bash: ../install.dir.24830/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: No such file or directory

The "java" binary is there but won't execute:

$ file ./java
./java: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped
$ ./java
bash: ./java: No such file or directory

I assume this is because it's a 32-bit executable and I'm running on 64-bit LMDE. The installation instructions (for Ubuntu) say to install ia32-libs to get this package running on 64-bit Linux, but that's obsolete on LMDE...

All the docs I can find only talk about how to install .deb files with a foreign architecture. What do I install to get a random i386 binary that's not part of a .deb running?

EDIT: also, ldd doesn't work on this file, even though the "file" command said "dynamically linked". I assume this is because my ldd doesn't recognize i386 binaries. How do I ldd a 32-bit binary?

$ ldd java
not a dynamic executable

EDIT AGAIN: found it, thanks to this page: http://www.markusbe.com/2009/09/about-r ... libraries/

It's libc6-i386, which contains the dynamic linker for for i386. Installing that fixed both the above problems.

This deserves to be in the first post, I think.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

hmmm trying to install wine on the wifes computer with lmde, so far no go

did this to see if multiarch is installed

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
i386
so yup it be there.
then tried zero's install and got this

sudo apt-get install wine-bin
[sudo] password for blahblahblah: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 wine-bin:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.4) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libwine-bin:i386 (= 1.4.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
so looks like I got me two unmet dependencies libc6:i386 and libwine-bin:i386 what next? :lol:
should I install these two, thought i'd better check before I do it.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Sam
she only uses it for kobo so it's no real biggie if it don't work but it would be nice in case she wants any games to work.
Oh by the way I did upgrade the libc6 to 2.17-0experimental2 so I could get the new mdm theme working but only upgraded a couple of packs with it to get it working, just in case that's the issue
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Sam'
i can't replicate that here;
tried in 2 different installs (one tracking Testing and another the UP-latest > same result on both)
outputs from Latest

zerozero@zerozero-vb ~ $ sudo apt-get install wine-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  gcc-4.7-base:i386 libasound2:i386 libc6:i386 libc6-i686:i386
  libdbus-1-3:i386 libdrm-intel1:i386 libdrm-nouveau1a:i386
  libdrm-radeon1:i386 libdrm2:i386 libexpat1:i386 libffi5:i386
  libfontconfig1:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libgcc1:i386 libgcrypt11:i386
  libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386
  libglu1-mesa:i386 libgnutls26:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libgpm2:i386
  libgsm1:i386 libice6:i386 libjbig0:i386 libjpeg8:i386 liblzma5:i386
  libmpg123-0:i386 libncurses5:i386 libp11-kit0:i386 libpciaccess0:i386
  libpng12-0:i386 libsm6:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libstdc++6:i386
  libtasn1-3:i386 libtiff4:i386 libtinfo5:i386 libuuid1:i386 libv4l-0:i386
  libv4lconvert0:i386 libwine:i386 libwine-alsa:i386 libwine-bin:i386
  libwine-gecko-1.4 libwine-gl:i386 libx11-6:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386
  libxau6:i386 libxcb-glx0:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxcomposite1:i386
  libxcursor1:i386 libxdamage1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386
  libxfixes3:i386 libxi6:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxml2:i386 libxrandr2:i386
  libxrender1:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386 zlib1g:i386
Suggested packages:
  libasound2-plugins:i386 glibc-doc:i386 locales:i386 rng-tools:i386
  libglide3:i386 gpm:i386 wine-doc:i386 libwine-cms:i386 libwine-sane:i386
  libwine-ldap:i386 libwine-print:i386 libwine-openal:i386
  libwine-gphoto2:i386
Recommended packages:
  ttf-liberation:i386 xml-core:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gcc-4.7-base:i386 libasound2:i386 libc6:i386 libc6-i686:i386
  libdbus-1-3:i386 libdrm-intel1:i386 libdrm-nouveau1a:i386
  libdrm-radeon1:i386 libdrm2:i386 libexpat1:i386 libffi5:i386
  libfontconfig1:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libgcc1:i386 libgcrypt11:i386
  libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386
  libglu1-mesa:i386 libgnutls26:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libgpm2:i386
  libgsm1:i386 libice6:i386 libjbig0:i386 libjpeg8:i386 liblzma5:i386
  libmpg123-0:i386 libncurses5:i386 libp11-kit0:i386 libpciaccess0:i386
  libpng12-0:i386 libsm6:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libstdc++6:i386
  libtasn1-3:i386 libtiff4:i386 libtinfo5:i386 libuuid1:i386 libv4l-0:i386
  libv4lconvert0:i386 libwine:i386 libwine-alsa:i386 libwine-bin:i386
  libwine-gecko-1.4 libwine-gl:i386 libx11-6:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386
  libxau6:i386 libxcb-glx0:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxcomposite1:i386
  libxcursor1:i386 libxdamage1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386
  libxfixes3:i386 libxi6:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxml2:i386 libxrandr2:i386
  libxrender1:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386 wine-bin:i386 zlib1g:i386
0 upgraded, 66 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 91.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 264 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main gcc-4.7-base i386 4.7.2-4 [143 kB]
Get:2 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main gcc-4.7-base 

zerozero@zerozero-vb ~ $ apt policy libc6:i386 wine-bin
libc6:i386:
  Installed: 2.13-37
  Candidate: 2.13-37
  Version table:
 *** 2.13-37 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
wine-bin:i386:
  Installed: 1.4.1-4
  Candidate: 1.4.1-4
  Version table:
 *** 1.4.1-4 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

zerozero@zerozero-vb ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

ahhh never mind it's me just being stupid again :lol:
I updated the libc6 for the new mdm and this is what threw it all off.
So I thought hmmmm probably other libs needing upgrading as well from experimental because of this to get wine working (I remember I had to do this when I upgraded gimpers from sid and had to do some from sid and some from experimetal to get all the toys I wanted), so I opened experimental again in synapics and just installed wine from there instead and got the experimental one with all the needed libs etc some were upgraded and that's what did it, it works now with no issues.
I guess joe wasn't talking to frank because he was to old to talk to and couldn't communicate properly :lol: Frank needed some upgrades.
Just in case anyone is fooling around in the danger zone with these repos to get the toys you want, please remember to turn them off after your done playing.
I shut down and rebooted just to make sure I didn't kill her brand spanking new lmde and it's all good, she'll be one happy lady tonight :D
She missed lmde big time.
Thanks for trying zero, there's no way you could of repeated this error since I didn't have some toys upgraded that were needed, they still had the old ones that were causing the issues.
At least others will know what to do now if they get this issue, especially those using the new mdm in lmde since you need the upgraded libc6 to get it working.
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

Hi,
my architecture shows i386 but libGL.so.1 is missing from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa. Reinstalling libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 gets me the required file but breaks my system, compositing does not work anymore nor does openGL. I have a GeForce GT 610 and I have to use sgfxi for the latest drivers because these in the repos do not support this card. Running sgfxi again brings back my compositing and openGL but deletes the files in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa again, they seem to be somehow not compatible to the latest nvidia driver installed by sgfxi.

Do you know any way how to get libGL.so.1 for 32 bit applications running with this setup? Thanks in advance!

btw, I'm using Linux Mint 14 KDE edition 64 bit.
rpr-nospam

Post by rpr-nospam »

ddurdle wrote:I used to use teamviewer, but not anymore.

This should work for you:

http://www.hangelot.eu/?p=238&lang=en
The procedure suggested on http://www.hangelot.eu/?p=238&lang=en doesn't work on a Linux Mint Debian x64 that tracks current debian testing (jessie).

How do I install TeamViewer on my Linux distribution? has the following note on 64-bit DEB-systems with Multiarch-support:
teamviewer_linux_x64.deb cannot be installed because the package ia32-libs is not available anymore on these systems. In this case you can use teamviewer_linux.deb instead.
I installed that 32-bit package successfully:

$ sudo gdebi teamviewer_linux.deb
$ dpkg -l teamviewer
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  teamviewer     8.0.17147    i386         TeamViewer
-- rpr.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

zerozero, I guess some info about cherry-picking the packages from testing/sid/experimental should be added to the first post. The problems like the one we stumbled upon [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=135817&start=20#p728750]here[/url] may arise if one gets the updated package for only one architecture (e.g. amd64) and then turns the repo off.

This is probably relevant only to the library packages marked as "Multi-Arch: same", but I don't know enough to be sure about that. :)
kuting22

Post by kuting22 »

hi!

trying to do what zerozero listed, but when i run 'dpkg --print-foreign-architecture' this is all i get:

dpkg: error: unknown option --print-foreign-architecture

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

what am i doing wrong?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kuting22 wrote:what am i doing wrong?
You forgot the "s" at the end:

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
primski

Post by primski »

ugh skype :x am i right? it installed 86 dependencies. probably the only i386 app i use. wish microsoft they'd make a native 64bit version, but nooo. or at least everybody who uses it, start using something else as well, that works on more platforms. it sux.
cyb3rc0de

Post by cyb3rc0de »

Does this means that if we use multiarch, it will break our system in any way?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

LMDE is already multiarch (for some time);

the question is that multiarch is still an ongoing process in debian and you might find some libraries/applications that don't install (yesterday i found that ibgtkglext1:i386 is not yet multiarch ready and the same for an older version of libglade2-0:i386)
but those are specific situations, the most used applications should now be multiarch aware
cyb3rc0de

Post by cyb3rc0de »

zerozero wrote:LMDE is already multiarch (for some time);

the question is that multiarch is still an ongoing process in debian and you might find some libraries/applications that don't install (yesterday i found that ibgtkglext1:i386 is not yet multiarch ready and the same for an older version of libglade2-0:i386)
but those are specific situations, the most used applications should now be multiarch aware

Thanks. Im happy things are alright with multiarch :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”