X server and nvidia driver

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
auine

X server and nvidia driver

Post by auine »

ctr+alt+f1 don't stop x server. I use cinnamon.
How i can install nvidia driver?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: X server and nvidia driver

Post by anandrkris »

I was told that it is better to install from the repos to avoid issues. To install additional drivers, you can run the "Software Sources" tool from "Menu->Preferences->Software Sources" and click on the "Additional Drivers" tab.
Also, please specify your graphics card model, if it happens to be based on Optimus technology, you may require installation of bumblebee.

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
auine

Post by auine »

software sources don't help as you see.
My card geforce m525
auine

Post by auine »

ебануй дестрибутив, епал я его лаги.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

I suppose your graphics card supports Optimus technology.

Can you check if you have primary Intel card and another nvidia card by typing the below in terminal. For instance, my system shows the below results. (2 cards)

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] (rev ff)
If yes, then try you would require bumblebee installation. More here.
To start any application with your Nvidia Graphics card optirun program_name. After installation you can type the below in terminal to check whether Graphics card is working fine.
To check properties

optirun nvidia-settings -c :8
To check your FPS performance

optirun glxspheres
or

optirun glxgears
or

optirun firefox 
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/a ... arium.html - Open this site and check your performance of graphics card.
auine

Post by auine »

thx, but i have a new problem :)
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Oh! yes...its a known minor issue in the latest version. I thought would have been fixed and failed to mention it. Try this to manually start bumblebee.

sudo bumblebeed --daemon
More here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12531840
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=126832
SirFalcon

Post by SirFalcon »

I am having a similar problem. I installed a GTX 650 Ti and tried installing the driver from nvidia. I got an error due to X server running. I tried ctrl+alt+f1 then logging in as root. I tried telinit 3 and 2 but X was still there and the driver would not install. I tried tellinit 1 and the driver gave me a series of warning messages and then installed. Now Linux will not boot. It hangs on a log in screen and if I type in my name and password it checks the battery then loops back to log in again. Linux will boot if I run recovery mode option from the boot menu, then select resume.
auine

Post by auine »

anandrkris, thanks, but how i can do this, sort of like autorun?
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

SirFalcon wrote:I am having a similar problem. I installed a GTX 650 Ti and tried installing the driver from nvidia. I got an error due to X server running. I tried ctrl+alt+f1 then logging in as root. I tried telinit 3 and 2 but X was still there and the driver would not install. I tried tellinit 1 and the driver gave me a series of warning messages and then installed. Now Linux will not boot. It hangs on a log in screen and if I type in my name and password it checks the battery then loops back to log in again. Linux will boot if I run recovery mode option from the boot menu, then select resume.
Hello
it seems your nvidia installation failed totally. What you can try:
1. sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf (just in case the installation routine created it)
switch to f1
sudo killall mdm (if mdm is your login manager)
cd <where your nvidia driver is>
sudo sh ./Your driver.run
If (!) no errors displayed: sudo reboot
Good luck
Regards
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

auine wrote:anandrkris, thanks, but how i can do this, sort of like autorun?
You can add this to start-up process? Unsure, there should be an easy way, you can check in forums.

Below links are of custom search engines that help in searching linux related topics. I find them to be very useful to solve linux related issues and have them bookmarked..
http://home.windstream.net/joelwest/ - You can filter for 'Mint' to show only results from Mint forums.
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01760 ... _owgx6xyi0

Return to “Software & Applications”