Where's ATI at today?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ashboy

Where's ATI at today?

Post by ashboy »

I haven't really used a Linux system in a long while. Last time I read up about ATI drivers for Linux was in a magazine, around 2007. It seemed like they were just starting to cooperate a little to release some drivers (though they were still crap). It's six years later now and frankly I'm a bit disappointed. Performance of whatever driver is automatically installed with Nadia appears to still be sub-par. The simplest of 3D apps can barely break 15-20fps at the best of times.

Granted, I'm using an old, pre-2009 mobile Radeon. But there must be some new options regarding drivers by now? The only threads I see here tackling the issue are a bit dated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ashboy

Re: Where's ATI at today?

Post by ashboy »

It doesn't appear to support my ATI Mobility Radeon X1250. Damn shame.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

That's an older card isn't it? They dumped support for everything older than the HD 5000 series last year. They still have their "Legacy" driver, but I don't think it supports the new X.org versions.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I pity ATI card owners. They really should be treated better than this...especially by a company that announced "enhanced Linux support" a few years back.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

To be honest, their Windows drivers aren't that hot either. Especially with new releases. I still prefer their hardware to nVidia's though.
ashboy

Post by ashboy »

MartyMint wrote:I pity ATI card owners. They really should be treated better than this...especially by a company that announced "enhanced Linux support" a few years back.
That's exactly the last thing I remember about them. Either way, I send in a support request to ATI/AMD. Probably naive.. but maybe I'll get lucky and catch someone having a good day. :?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”