Booting Into Shell/Terminal/Console

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JaqxD

Booting Into Shell/Terminal/Console

Post by JaqxD »

Every time I boot my machine with Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 It boots into the console/shell/terminal. Is there any way i can get my GUI back?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Booting Into Shell/Terminal/Console

Post by xenopeek »

What's the pretext to this? Did this suddenly happen, or did you do something beforehand. Like install some proprietary graphics card drivers, upgrade your system, or otherwise modify your system.
JaqxD

Post by JaqxD »

The only change I made on the previous boot was to install Eclipse. It was working fine before that point even with proprietary graphics drivers.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, that doesn't sound like a likely cause. Do you get any errors or warnings displayed during boot? Check your dmesg and /var/log/syslog for any error or warnings, there might be some hint in there what is wrong. You could for example do:

Code: Select all

egrep -i "error|warn" /var/log/syslog
to show lines from your syslog with the word error or warn on them (case-insensitive). Similar for dmesg:

dmesg | egrep -i "error|warn"
Not all errors or warnings will be relevant. Anything related to X not able to load is what you want to look for.
JaqxD

Post by JaqxD »

Nothing with X unable to start appears. Only SystemIO confilcts
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As you are on the terminal, did you need to log in? If you logged in as yourself, try:

sudo /etc/init.d/mdm start
If you are the root user (check with command 'whoami') then instead run without sudo, so:

/etc/init.d/mdm start
ashboy

Post by ashboy »

Hi JaqxD. I just wanted to mention that I seem to have run into the same, unexplainable issue. No closer to finding a solution, but I thought you should know you're not alone. My thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=716114
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps you also have a problem with the .ICEauthority file, just as ashboy does. Please see my suggestion to ashboy here, which may also work for you: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p716293

Return to “Installation & Boot”