DVD playback woes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deusabscondus

DVD playback woes

Post by deusabscondus »

I just migrated to Mint after an unsettling period of re-installations and problems related to codecs in Ubuntu.

One of the things that attracted me to Mint was the claim that there was no need to tweak VLC; that DVDs should play straight up.

When I try to play one I get this:

Playback failure:
DVDRead could not read 1/4 blocks at 0x5b.

Anyone out there spare me a mo to help out?

thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: DVD playback woes

Post by DrHu »

It is a media read error, so if it is not affecting every DVD disk you have: then you know the problem is for specific media, formats or media (brand) types..
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.ph ... da7e149200
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-ha ... ssues.html
--your specific issue: other user experiences

Another possibility (foreign DVDs), unicoded paths to files..

If there is a command line option to skip unreadable blocks, try that
--I haven't looked into the vlc options, so I can't say for sure..
deusabscondus

Post by deusabscondus »

thanks man!
i got too tired and discouraged and forgot to try the obvious: the dvd in question just needed a wipe1!!!!!!!!!

really preciate your help...

happy now and ready to enjoy Minting
os2x

Post by os2x »

I have had the same problem. I tried the "Movie Player" and it worked but the video was real slow and jerky? I've been trying to get the Xine
player into the system because I know it will work but I don't think it's in the repository. I ended up removing VLC since it's not working.
Some of the distros have the "gXine" available and I need to work with it because it probably will work. If I come across some fix I'll post it.

-Dennis
os2x

Post by os2x »

I found the problem with VLC, you have to do some tweaking on it to get it to play the DVDs. Our Goverment
threw a monkey-wrench into the works by requiring new DVD to have encryption imbedded in them probably
for copy protection. An older DVD will play ok but put in a new one and it will refuse to play. I came across this
in Windows XP and ended up buying a program just to play DVDs before I found one on the web that worked
and was free!

-Dennis

Return to “Sound”