A funny problem with the display on a bootload.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iru

A funny problem with the display on a bootload.

Post by iru »

Gentlefolk,

I have a Toshiba U840W laptop upon which I want to install Mint 14.

The U840W is a peculiar beast with a wide screen (1792 * 768 pixels at 60Hz).
Intel i915, 4000 HD, Mesa 9.0.3, X.org 1.13.0, GLX version 3.0.

Any flavour of Mint has the following problem. I have been over a lot of forums looking at Intel related graphics issues, tried a lot of things, all to no avail.

Here is the problem:

Grub bootloader displays, text is readable.
Select the bootload, screen goes black, pause and them the login screen is displayed.

The trouble is that the screen/display is covered with lines, mostly vertical, mostly shades of white and grey, the occassional bit of colour.
The login box shows and I can read a very difficult to read "Linux Mint".
The area for username and password is white so enter them and into the desktop. Same sort of display, vertical lines mostly grey with flecks of colour.
Can see the icons.

Shut the lid on the laptop. Count to 5, open the lid and the desktop displays correctly and and once past the password prompt everything works beautifuly.

So whats wrong, looks like somewhere in the boot process the graphics are not set up or set up incorrectly and then get set correctly on the lid close/open.
I have tried the "nomodeset", i915.modeset=1", and setting the GFXMode in "grub". No improvement.
Looked at regressing the intel drivers from 9 to 8 (get key errors on that one).

Any ideas/directions/suggestions/whatever appreciated, Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iru

Re: A funny problem with the display on a bootload.

Post by iru »

Gentlefolk,

Chased all over the web,
Looked at methods of changing display resolution, etc via xrand, cvt, xorg, no success.
Read lots about drivers for Intel HD 4000 graphics, Mesa, dri, etc,, there was a hint or two that Mesa 8 rather than the installed 9 would be better.
Attempted to build Mesa 8. As usual something like macros, libraries missing.

Thought I would try Ubuntu 12.04 rather than the more recent 12.10 and Mint 14 because it may have Mesa 8, etc..
Installed Ubuntu 12.04.

Up came the login screen beautifully, wonderfull to see. Yahoo, away I go,....

Woops, no mouse, no touchpad, no keyboard. Bother.....

Perhaps Mint 13?????

Ian
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Am unsure of your exact issue but I had a similar issue with low resolution and mouse/keyboard not working and removing the xorg.conf file helped to solve the issue.
iru

Post by iru »

Gentlefolk,

For your information in the hope that it may stop some other person battling like I have over the past week.

The suspicions on Mesa 9 being the problem appear correct.

After some difficulties with boot sequence, multiple MBR/GRUB combinations I managed to get Mint 13 Maya-Mate loaded.

Display is perfectly correct and on bootload and open/close of the lid. Also have the touchpad, mouse and keyboard.

Mint 13 uses Mesa 8....

Best of luck, Ian

Return to “Installation & Boot”