SOLVED. Cannot update Machine

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pookito
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED. Cannot update Machine

Post by pookito »

After installing Mint Nadia KDE version, I noticed that my os, could not read the repositories therefore it cannot install any packages what so ever. I tried to search for repositories and so forth, and I came across a good advice, delete the repositories and add them. Which I did using the following commands: sudo rm -fv /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update. Sadly, it did not work.

The truth is I need to update the brand new installation, but I cannot. Any advise?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Cannot update Machine

Post by DrHu »

Run synaptic, look at the package list of installed application
--run an update via synaptic
  • Or try the GUI package manager from Mint and do a mintupdate first, update the package manager before any other updates..

get your list of installed packages..
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/sh ... or-debian/

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep kde 
--get only kde packages

Or check your CD/DVD for the /etc/apts/sources ..file(s), or ask for the standard repository list from these forums; or search for them yourself..
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Nadia
http://hajimu.org/?tag=sources-list
Last edited by DrHu on Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You may try this command:

sudo sed -i 's/nadia/quantal/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.list
It will make sure your distribution name is correct on the Ubuntu repositories. There is a known problem that in some cases the Ubuntu repositories get a Linux Mint distribution name on them--which won't work. If the files are already correct, this won't do any harm.

After the above command do again:

apt update
If case of further problems, please copy & paste the errors here and also include the output of this command:

inxi -r
pookito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pookito »

xenopeek wrote:You may try this command:

sudo sed -i 's/nadia/quantal/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.list
It will make sure your distribution name is correct on the Ubuntu repositories. There is a known problem that in some cases the Ubuntu repositories get a Linux Mint distribution name on them--which won't work. If the files are already correct, this won't do any harm.

After the above command do again:

apt update
If case of further problems, please copy & paste the errors here and also include the output of this command:

inxi -r
I'd like to thank you for taking the time on helping me for this. It seems that the command that you gave me did the trick. Thanks for your time.

:)

Return to “Installation & Boot”