Mint 14 kde crashing on install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
armagedon51

Mint 14 kde crashing on install

Post by armagedon51 »

Hello,
no luck with this release. I try the 32 version (checksum pass - disk check pass) on 2 computers and in virtualbox on another. After burning the iso, the live version seems ok but the installer crashes during install on both computers after selecting the destination. On virtualbox (third machine), the installation goes through fine, however I selected the French language, the installer revert to french but after install, all the menus are still in English, is that normal ? Tx
machine 1 - old Pentium 4 - 512 mb ram
machine 2 - modern Athlon II X2 - 2gb ram
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
armagedon51

Re: Mint 14 kde crashing on install

Post by armagedon51 »

More testing. I download the 64 bits version. I tried to install it on the recent computer, select French installation , install failed again during files copy.
/target/usr/share/icons/mono/scalable/apps/xmms etc.... bla bla bla
Then tried with the English language. Surprise, it went through fine. But when I reboot, no linux Mint in sight. I select the correct disk in bios still linux wont boot.
This is awful. I did used prior versions of Mint before and like it but this thing is so buggy that I finally gave up on it. Back to Windows 7. Sorry
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

Try removing the sideshow before install, there was a post about this elsewhere on the forum.
Boot from live CD/DVD then

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint-kde

Then try installing again.
netpack

Post by netpack »

Hi, had the same problem on virtualbox, fixed when I set the RAM to 2048 and video memory to 128.
Cheers,
Fred.
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

@ armageddon:

Maybe you know this already, but Mint 14 is obsolete and no longer maintained nor is it supported. Therefore there's no reason to install an outdated, non-supported Mint version. You can better install the latest version of Mint or Mint 13 if you have an older low-spec/low-memory system. Mint 13 will be supported till april 2017.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Ron-N wrote:@ armageddon:

Maybe you know this already, but Mint 14 is obsolete and no longer maintained nor is it supported. Therefore there's no reason to install an outdated, non-supported Mint version. You can better install the latest version of Mint or Mint 13 if you have an older low-spec/low-memory system. Mint 13 will be supported till april 2017.
Read the date of the original post, and all others.

Return to “Software & Applications”