Mint 14 does not honor duplex printing.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lambda165

Mint 14 does not honor duplex printing.

Post by lambda165 »

The Mint 14 kde 64 bit version will not print in duplex to my brother hl4150cdn printer. The printer is set to duplex (long edge) in the cups config page, and shown in the printer configuration page of the kde system settings. However, when I try to print from an application such as kate, kwrite, okular, libre office, etc., the duplex setting is ignored. On the application's print dialog, the printer properties show that long-edge duplex is indeed selected, but the duplex menu under the options button options tab is grey and unavailable (this may be bug 311656 in KDE). Regardless, there is NO WAY TO PRINT DUPLEX.

This is a definite bug, because all the hardware and network connections this machine is connected to worked with the previous OS (Debian squeeze kde -- no gnome) and there was no problem at all with printing in duplex from okular, kwrite, etc, or changeing the settings in their respective print dialogs. The Mint install is a clean install on a new hard drive. Now there is no duplex printing.

This is a real problem. Mint is costing me money by crippling critical equipment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lambda165

Re: Mint 14 does not honor duplex printing.

Post by lambda165 »

OK, the printer has no problem printing in duplex from a windows XP virtual machine running in virtualbox. This is definitely a KDE problem on Mint 14. It is amazing that mint released this version WITHOUT TESTING duplex printing.

Please someone tell me that this is fixable, or just admit that linux mint 14 is NOT suitable for any kind of production use, and, by continuing to ignore printing BUGS, it never will be.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Well, I think that is a funny way of asking for help. I personally would not have even chosen this printer for a production environment. But Brother does provide their own Linux support page. Did you look into this before posting? Printer driver support should be the responsibility of the printer manufacturer.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... index.html

If this fixes your printer problem that has been costing you money, I hope you'll be appreciative and send the Mint guys some of it.

Good luck
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

this may be bug 311656 in KDE
Let's see: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311656

My Brother MFC works perfectly in Cinnamon, duplex and all. (Some time in the past year, there was a firmware upgrade -- you need their Windows "Control Center" software for that. But everything worked before and after.)
It is amazing that mint released this version WITHOUT TESTING duplex printing.
How could they test every model of printer? Why continue to rant here after you've commented on the bug report upstream?

A potential workaround is to avoid the KDE system dialog using Google Cloud Print.

lambda165

Post by lambda165 »

First, yes, I have checked the brother site, and use their official drivers. They have worked before. It is not Brother's responsibility to FIX a YEARS OLD KDE BUG. And I see from the baloney excuse-making, buck passing replies that KDE is still full of Krap. It is garbage and will never be fixed. I've been _trying_ to use KDE for the better part of a DECADE, and the flaming idiots involved with it are clueless! Utterly incompetent. How can they not understand that there are three essential parts of computing -- display, sound, and PRINTING!

I have just seen that KDE is going to screw over all their users AGAIN by pulling the same stunt on KDE4 users that they did on KDE3 users -- migrate to a new *improved* desktop framework, based on the new QT5!

And hey Rudemeister, it is not the equipment's fault, and it is stupid and weasely to try and blame it or the manufacturer. This is a KDE mint problem. You don't even address that.
How about I send you a BILL?

I have found a solution. Dump KDE. It is garbage and never will be fit for anything but causing constant workflow interruptions and workarounds. That is not an opinion, that is a FACT proven over and over again in the entire KDE4 debacle. Proven!

Just K-K-Keep KDE. Keep it right up your ...
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Proverbs 26:4
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

hey i just tried printing duplex with my HP LaserJet 2300.. worked first time.

Not being snarky you reminded me i needed to test it thanks. recently got the printer and installed Mint14 KDE.

there is a kind of bug i found but it's something unrelated (you have to open print queue and presume RESUME for it to start, for no apparent reason. hopefully this is a one time thing?)
darrindavis

Post by darrindavis »

I have hp laserjet 1160 and currently I am running windows XP but I am unable to print both sides of duplex page even if I tick the option that prints both sides of a page.

Return to “Software & Applications”