Run windows on Linux Mint (virtual)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Run windows on Linux Mint (virtual)

Post by atlef »

Open the menu - Admin - users and groups - manage groups - find vboxusers and add yourself to that group.

atlef.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Once you have started your virtual machine, under the second menu select "Install guest additions" or something similar and all should be dandy, OR install drivers like you normally would in windows but check "search windows update" and they should find it, both ways have worked for me.
Sorry for my lousy English. :oops:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

What if you already have XP installed as a dual boot setup? The reason I ask is, I'm currently playing around with a test configuration for a Samba Primary Domain Controller using the server edition of Ubuntu. My main system is currently dual booting Mint & XP. I would like to have XP in a virtual machine on my MINT so that I can test network configurations instead of rebooting into XP or going to another XP client on my network.

Thanks for any advise.
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

I tried virtual box but the windows cd wouldnt work cos its a hp oem disk and although it was in the pc it came with it doesnt appear so the cd wont let you use it.

Has anyone heard of any ways of getting past this?

Return to “Beginner Questions”