[Solved] Can't Start/Install LMDE

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[Solved] Can't Start/Install LMDE

Postby suicidejack on Sat May 11, 2013 12:01 am

Hello,

So I have been attempting to install LMDE 201303 Cinnamon 64-bit on my computer since 7pm this afternoon (it is now 11:27pm). To say the least I can't even get to the live environment (when trying to start in live mode) or even to an installation screen (when trying the Install option).

Here are the major pieces of hardware on my computer (I built it myself about a year ago and have been running Windows 7 on it since because I could not get LMDE to install then and had no patience at the time):
processor: Intel i5-2500k LGA1155
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GPU 1: EVGA GeForce GTX460
GPU 2: EVGA GeForce GTX460
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD 120GB

Here are the steps I have taken to troubleshoot this problem and get it working (I have been googling like mad trying to find answers but nothing seems to work).
  • checked MD5 hash sum: it was correct
  • tried using a DVD rather than a flash drive: same errors as flash drive
  • modifying the parameters you can provide when booting into Live Mode (just for the heck of it I even tried them with the Install option - got the same results) - parameters tried (various combos of them tried also): nomodeset, nouveau.modeset=[0,1,2], acpi=off
  • Tried tweaking random BIOS settings and at the moment I am running it with the failsafe defaults

What will happen when trying all the troubleshooting steps above is that the screen with either just hang, go black, or start putting out /sbin/modprobe errors every second or so

I am fairly well versed at Linux but grub/boot options I know almost nothing about. Are there any other options I can try when booting into Live Mode? Are there any BIOS settings I should change?

Thanks for any help or insight! Any documentation I can read to figure out how to this fix works also. I honestly just don't where to start.
Last edited by suicidejack on Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
suicidejack
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Start/Install LMDE

Postby suicidejack on Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 am

So I actually solved my own problem - I switched the BIOS settings to use the mobo onboard video and I was able to get LMDE installed successfully.

*Edit*
A tip for those who follow what I did. Once I had LMDE installed I installed the appropriate Nvidia drivers only with nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings. I then ran
Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-xconfig

in the terminal so that the xord file would be created/updated to use the nvidia drivers.

Restart your xserver (ctrl-alt-backspace or just restart) and presto we are live with LMDE with nvidia drivers.

Note: you may have to edit your grub settings at some point and add the following line:
Code: Select all
nouveau.modeset=0

to the end of the line that starts with linux /boot ...
Only add this if for some reason you keep getting a black screen when you attempt to boot into linux. You can get to this screen by hitting "e" on the appropriate linux kernel when grub appears.

Hope this is helpful for anyone that runs into the same problems I did.
suicidejack
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot