Cinnamon on Debian question?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vayu

Cinnamon on Debian question?

Post by vayu »

I can't find help, I'm hoping this might be the right place. I have Cinnamon 1.7.something on a recent (last week) Debian Testing upgraded to Unstable. It's working well overall.

The Gtk2 apps all look horrible. They take on the theme colors, but have a blocky hard edge look to them.

I've tried making a .gtkrc-2.0 file that pointed to the gtk 2.0 files in /usr/share/themes.
.gtkrc-2.0:
include "/usr/share/themes/malys-rought-dark-right/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "MeliaeSVG"

I got desparate and deleted all but a few themes in user/share/themes. Still no luck. The gtk 3.0 apps look beautiful. Then open Iceweasal and yuck. I'm pretty sure the theme has the gtk 2.0 style that looks just like the 3.0. Any ideas how to find the culprit?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Cinnamon on Debian question?

Post by zerozero »

you need themes with gtk2/gtk3 (3.4) compatibility
this is one of them >> http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .8_all.deb
it's not exactly a random deb, it's included in LMDE's repository
vayu

Post by vayu »

zerozero wrote:you need themes with gtk2/gtk3 (3.4) compatibility
this is one of them >> http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .8_all.deb
it's not exactly a random deb, it's included in LMDE's repository
Thanks. I'll try it. I hope that's the problem, I'm not confident though because I believe the themes I'm using have gtk2 in them. I installed the same setup on my son's computer, I don't know what I did differently but it's working with the same themes on his computer.
vayu

Post by vayu »

That didn't do it. I'm really bummed. I love this install. I have it set up so nice in every other way. Any other ideas?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

vayu wrote: I installed the same setup on my son's computer, I don't know what I did differently but it's working with the same themes on his computer.
check the gtk2 theme engines in both installs
vayu

Post by vayu »

Thanks. I hate that I gave up but I did, I'm starting over. Do you know if Cinnamon is setup with enough dependancies to be installed by itself on top of a net install? I installed Cinnamon on a Gnome installation successfully. I'm wanting to skip Gnome, is Gnome neccessary?

Return to “LMDE Archive”