Where does Caja mount a samba share?[SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dd058

Where does Caja mount a samba share?[SOLVED]

Post by dd058 »

Hello,
Does anybody know where Caja mounts a samba share? When I mount the share (in Caja, File->Connect to Server...) I can see the icon on my desktop and I can browse and open files on my samba server. However, when I look at folder /home/myUserName/Desktop in a shell command line I see nothing like my samba directory. Then, I look at /mnt or /media but there is nothing there either...
Thanks,
dd058
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Where does Caja mount a samba share?

Post by altair4 »

It depends on which version of Mint you are using. It's either here in a hidden directory:
/home/your-user-name/.gvfs
OR here in a non-hidden directory:
/run/user/your-user-name/gvfs
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dd058

Post by dd058 »

I am using Linux Mint Debian Edition. There is nothing in /home/my-user-name/.gvfs and /run/user/ does not exist at all...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Didn't realize I was posting the the LMDE part of the forum, sorry about that.

You need to install some stuff. Actually, just so we don't have to come back to this you might as well add all of the samba related stuff that Debian leaves out:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
sudo apt-get install libsmbclient
sudo apt-get install smbclient
sudo apt-get install python-smbc
Then add yourself to the fuse group:

sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name fuse
Log out and log in again for the group memebership to take affect and see if the .gvfs folder holds your mount point when you use Connect to Server.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dd058

Re: Where does Caja mount a samba share?[SOLVED]

Post by dd058 »

Only packages gvfs-fuse and python-smbc had to be installed. The other two you mentioned were already installed. I sorted my group permission, rebooted and the samba share appears in the ~/.gvfs directory.

The mount command is not empty anymore which makes me happy

mount -l | grep gvfs 
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/dd058/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
Thanks for the help. I hope this helps someone else, too.

A small note.
This whole thing started by me wanting to:
1. be able to use mint's graphical 'Backup Tool' to backup to a samba share
2. be able to do a backup with a shell script (so I started looking for the mount point that caja uses for network shares).

The answer to no 1: it is still not possible because the backup tool does not allow you to choose a hidden destination folder (~./gvfs). Ha!
The answer to no 2: You can set up the samba share to be mounted wherever you like at the start of your backup shell script and then do your backup. You don't need ~/.gvfs.

Thanks again
dd058
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

One of the advantages - perhaps the only advantage - of the new gvfs mount point in the latest Ubuntu based Mint is that it's no longer in a hidden directory and it's no longer in the user's home directory: /run/user/$USER/gvfs. But like many things in life with the good comes the bad. Instead of an actual mount point that looks like this:
$USER/.gvfs/share-name on server-name
You get this butt-ugly thing:
/run/user/$USER/gvfs/smb-share:server=server-name,share=share-name
At least now it has no spaces in the path.
The answer to no 2: You can set up the samba share to be mounted wherever you like at the start of your backup shell script and then do your backup. You don't need ~/.gvfs.
Just out of curiosity did you change the mount point with a:
/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-fuse-daemon /path/to/new/moutpoint
Or did you go old-school with a "sudo mount -t cifs ..."
dd058

Post by dd058 »

I wasn't aware that you can change the mount point the gvfs-fuse-daemon uses. I haven't done any work on this so far (too busy with my 'daytime' work) but I will go for the old fashioned 'mount' command, I think. What would you do? Are there any benefits of using the daemon method?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

To be honest I always thought changing the path to the .gvfs folder this way was kludgey. The user has to add it to his autostart applications list for it to work consistently which is why I considered it an improvement that they made it non-hidden and outside the users home directory in current releases. So I don't see any advantage over the classic way of doing this.

Return to “LMDE Archive”