Unreal Engine 3 running in your browser - Epic Citadel

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Unreal Engine 3 running in your browser - Epic Citadel

Post by xenopeek »

Epic have a new demo showing Unreal Engine 3 running in your browser :shock: http://www.unrealengine.com/html5/

Pretty impressive for running in a browser. I'm doing average of 30 FPS on my mediocre Intel IGP :)

Tidbit from the FAQ:
Q: Can you explain a little about the technology that makes this possible?

A. Mozilla is working on a new way to bring content to the Web and have it run at near native speeds. Using Emscripten to cross-compile C and C++ applications into JavaScript, Mozilla can bring large, high-performance applications to HTML5. This technology is already cross-browser as it outputs standard compliant JavaScript. The output from Emscripten also follows a stricter form of JavaScript called asm.js. It’s possible to optimize for this subset, as has been done in Firefox, to run within 2x of native speeds. Existing web standards such as WebGL and other Web APIs provide the hardware access needed to deliver incredible gaming experiences as shown by the Unreal Engine 3-powered Epic Citadel demo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Unreal Engine 3 running in your browser - Epic Citadel

Post by homerscousin »

I tried that couple days ago. Phoronix article. Looked good, graphics were smooth. I got just over 30 fps at 1920 x 1080, hd 4000. CPU use was about 25% and mostly well under the full 3.4 Ghz. What Intel do you have?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sandy Brdige i5-2500k, so HD 3000. I was certainly not running 1920 x 1080 though :wink:
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Hey, guys, try this and post a benchmark or 3. I read on the Phoronix forum someone with Intel hd4000 graphics tried this with the Firefox nightly installed and framerate improved closer to 60 fps. Looks like some good improvements coming for Firefox.

Here is another webgl interactive thing I found. Move a ball in a clear tank of water to create waves and ripples, raytraced reflections and refractions.
http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Trippy, especially when you press G to toggle gravity. Awesome! Now can we please get rid of Adobe Flash :wink:
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Ok, more. I installed FF 21 and my fps went up to 33.9 from 30.9. FF 23 should be much better. I found another game and it has pwiddy widdu pengins in it. Thought some might be interested. It's at http://www.webgl.com/2012/09/webgl-game ... ns-puzzle/ I can't seem to get beyond level 1. Tried the esc, p, n keys. Starts the same level over or takes me to the home page. It states there are 35 levels. Take a look and see if you can get to the next level and check that link for page 1. There are about 20 pages of webgl demos and games listed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, 't was good to visit the Citadel again :) Indeed on Firefox 21 framerate has improved. For me jumping to average 35 FPS I think. Some sections are now even well above 40 FPS.

The penguin game is good example also. Thanks for the link. (The penguin has a bit drunk stare though.)
Pymanda

Post by Pymanda »

That demo is really impressive. Can't wait for proper browsergames using that technology :)
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

For that penguin game I had to enable cookies to get to the other levels.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I'm a little disappointed. I thought more people would post benchmarks. We really need more in the Linux community to judge how our systems are running. Don't be afraid, just do it, as my therapist used to tell me.
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

sorry i couldn't run it because i use opera.

so i downloaded firefox ran the demo.. i get 16fp @ 1080p on a AMD 5850 on opensource drivers :(

gotta love amd for linux when a lowly HD4000 igpu can beat a powerful (at the time) dedicated GPU

and before anyone asks why i dont run offical? because they break the desktop experience compared to the opensource ones

Return to “Gaming”