[SOLVED]Serious problems with Flash; just installed ALSA

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
structuremole

[SOLVED]Serious problems with Flash; just installed ALSA

Post by structuremole »

I am getting no sound out of all flash media: youtube, ytmnd, twitch.tv, anything. When checking the sound system utility, it does not recognize that there is an application trying to play sound at all. A quick test here shows that it is not a problem with my browser (chromium) being able to interact with the sound card. Additionally, Youtube is especially broken and will restart after 2-4 seconds (usually the former) a couple times. I have also tried chrome and firefox, and they have the same issues and even worse problems with Youtube; usually giving the "An error occured" message after restarting the video multiple times. It is also worthy of note that ads on other sites will restart too in the same manner (because I'm pretty sure their source is some Youtube video somewhere).

The main culprit is that I have recently installed ALSA. I will be the first to admit that I am not the most competent at using Mint (yet), and it wasn't the cleanest installation, so I might have forgot some necessary step there? That being said, I have tried almost every help on the subject. I have: reinstalled alsa-base, made sure the correct sound card was set as default, and tried everything on this page that seemed even remotely relevant. I can give more information on my system, but at this point I'm just really frustrated and have given up trying to bash google for an answer to this.

Running Maya, 64-bit, Flash 11.2 r202, ALSA drivers 1.0.24, ALSA library 1.0.27
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anamnesis

Re: Serious problems with Flash; just installed ALSA

Post by anamnesis »

structuremole wrote:
The main culprit is that I have recently installed ALSA.
Hello
You too? Mint did that in the first place...
Alsa is the mother of all the fancy pulseaudio phonon blub audioservers. Try:
$ alsamixer
F6 select your sound card
push all the channels you need (I run xonar d1 7.1 in a 5.1 setup) to the top and make sure that you unmute the channels (move the curser to the channel and press m if the channel is muted). You can test it live: run a youtube video while alsamixer is open. If the sound works press esc to close alsamixer. Done.
hth
regards
structuremole

Post by structuremole »

Thanks for the reply, but I've looked in the alsamixer already and everything's in order. I didn't try looking while trying to listen to playback, but no luck there. I've been able to get sound from non-flash related sources, so I'm pretty sure the issue is mainly with that. Installing ALSA was just the last thing I did since encountering the problem.
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

structuremole wrote:Thanks for the reply, but I've looked in the alsamixer already and everything's in order. I didn't try looking while trying to listen to playback, but no luck there. I've been able to get sound from non-flash related sources, so I'm pretty sure the issue is mainly with that. Installing ALSA was just the last thing I did since encountering the problem.
Hello
Yes, seems to be a flash problem. Is the flash-plugin enabled in your browser (which browser?)? Do you run the latest flash? I presume you have no sound in any flash videos? Any error messages when you open the player eg in youtube? Slider for the sound on the right side? Not muted accidentally?
Regards
structuremole

Post by structuremole »

Yes it's enabled (Chromium, but I checked in Chrome and Firefox, both with the plugin enabled). My flash plugin is version 11.2 r202 and I have tried removing it and reinstalling it when I had this issue. ANYTHING which uses flash gives me no sound (in my original post I linked to a HTML5 based site which works perfectly for me). Youtube doesn't give me an error but it does restart after getting 2 seconds into the video (one time), so maybe there's a buffer length problem? And, yes, the mute is not on... (not on the video OR alsamixer)
structuremole

Post by structuremole »

Bump. No progress. Updated first post with more system and driver information.
structuremole

Post by structuremole »

Ok, I finally solved the problem by using Pepper-Flash instead of 11.2 r202.

Return to “Sound”