Debian 7.0 inquiry

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
victorsk

Debian 7.0 inquiry

Post by victorsk »

Hi all,

It came to my attention that stable version of Debian 7 is released. Does LMDE reflect this new release?

Not sure if I did this right, but I tried to change "testing" in my sources.list to "wheezy" to get new Debian 7 version but wasn't able to get any upgrades.

How synchronized are the updates between LMDE and Debian?

Thanks,
Victor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kinghorsey

Re: Debian 7.0 inquiry

Post by kinghorsey »

The Debian release generally takes longer than the main releases. You'll probably have to wait a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

Hi,

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you understand how Debian and LMDE works (I advise you to read the zerozero's LMDE FAQ , that thread is a bit outdated, but you will find it really helpful). Anyway i'll try to explain it to you.

LMDE is based on Debian testing. For the last two years, Debian testing had been Debian Wheezy (aka debian 7), so for the last two years LMDE had been based on Debian wheezy (and any change affecting to Debian wheezy affected to LMDE). To sum up, if you were using LMDE you were using a frozen version of Debian Wheezy (aka Debian 7)

Last week, Debian wheezy became stable, and now Debian testing is Debian Jessie (aka Debian 8 ). At the moment, LMDE users haven't been affected by this change (as their system are still based on Debian Wheezy), but they will notice the change when the next LMDE Update Package is released (after the LMDE users install this next UP, their systems will be based on Debian 8, and then you will see lots of changes). When will this UP be released?, I don't know, but as LMDE team is currently focused on the Linux Mint 15 release, I guess you will have to wait about 6-8 weeks.
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

Hi,

Thanks for clarifications. I read that zerorzero's post but unfortunately didn't quite understand it.

Yesterday, I visited distrowatch and saw the following announcement, I quote everything it says:

"Debian GNU/Linux 7.0, a new stable version of the world's largest Linux distribution, has been released: "After many months of constant development, the Debian project is proud to present its new stable version 7.0. This new version of Debian includes various interesting features such as multiarch support, several specific tools to deploy private clouds, an improved installer, and a complete set of multimedia codecs and front-ends which remove the need for third-party repositories. Multiarch support, one of the main release goals for Wheezy, will allow Debian users to install packages from multiple architectures on the same machine. This means that you can now, for the first time, install both 32- and 64-bit software on the same machine and have all the relevant dependencies correctly resolved, automatically." "

Since LMDE is based on Debian, and Debian announces they make this new release, does this mean that LMDE cannot have what Debian has until Debian releases it first? Or did LMDE already had all these updates mentioned in that announcement before they've been announced on distrowatch?

EDIT: I think I get it. We use testing branch so testing becomes stable and what Debian announced it announced a stable version of what was previously testing...which we already have. And LMDE will soon be updated with new testing branch from Debian. Yeah, I think that's it :)
bithir

Post by bithir »

victorsk wrote:Hi,
EDIT: I think I get it. We use testing branch so testing becomes stable and what Debian announced it announced a stable version of what was previously testing...which we already have. And LMDE will soon be updated with new testing branch from Debian. Yeah, I think that's it :)
Completely correct. The advantage with LMDE is that you have three ways for updates:
1) Use the default of LMDE repositories, will feed you some security updates and Update Packages at regular intervals, keeping your system reasonably stable but without waiting for the long testing cycles of Debian

2) Go wild and add in the Debian testing (Jessie, previously Wheezy) repositories, giving you less stability for more frequent updates

3) Go even wilder, and instead of Debian testing, add in Debian unstable (Sid, Unstable is always named Sid), giving you a sinking feeling of dread at occasions when your update wrecks havoc with your system, but that is ok because you like living on the bleeding edge ;)
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi bithir,
We use testing branch so testing becomes stable ...
Just a small correction with important implications. Testing does not become stable, the current testing version becomes stable. This means that if you:
2) Go wild and add in the Debian testing (Jessie, previously Wheezy) repositories, giving you less stability for more frequent updates
it is important which repositories you point to. If you point to testing then you will always follow testing. If you point to jessie then you will follow jessie, even after it becomes stable.

http://http.debian.net/debian testing main contrib non-free -> will point to testing forever.
http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main contrib non-free -> will point to jessie throughout its life time. Testing -> stable -> oldstable.

Just trying to help. Probably made it more confusing though. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

And for the original poster, if you change the LMDE repos from the LMDE defaults to point directly to Wheezy you will then be running an enhanced version of the just released Debian 7.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “LMDE Archive”