Newbie to Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Newbie to Linux

Postby AnarchyLime on Tue May 14, 2013 1:38 am

Hey Guys,

So I am braving a new adventure into linux, and I decided to start with Mint/Cinnamon. I'm a professional software engineer, but sadly I have had very limited experience with linux. I decided its finally time to start embracing this world, and learn what I can. While windows seems like a dirty 7-letter word in the linux world, I don't have any complaints. It's certainly far from perfect, but I am yet to mess around with an OS and not find issues. Heck it only took me a day before Gnome was locking up on me.

I really love the ideologies behind linux and really really want to embrace this platform. Being a gamer and seeing steam make a beachhead on linux was the last barrier I needed to start diving in. It's frustrating having to learn all new commands, programs, and key combinations, but I think it will be worth the investment in time. I hear the community is great here, so I probably will be asking a ton of questions. I'm looking forward to becoming a guru.

Thanks!
AnarchyLime
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie to Linux

Postby The-Wizard on Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 am

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -mint 17 Xfce dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 9
Level 9

Postby jesica on Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 am

Hey

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby overthetop on Tue May 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Welcome aboard! :D

No, you don't have to hate Windows to love Linux; use what works for you. You should, however, find Linux a real treat to use, both fun and refreshing. Good luck with Mint! 8)
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee
overthetop
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Introduce yourself