Intel graphic driver installer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Intel graphic driver installer

Post by nomko »

Looks like great news for everyone having a Intel graphic GPU:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/intel-re ... ivers.html

I haven't tested it yet since i'm having a nVidia GPU...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Intel graphic driver installer

Post by viking777 »

Good find nomko, but I can't test it either as it doesn't work with 64bit. Have to keep an eye on it though.
snake2903

Post by snake2903 »

Not working. On Linux Mint 14 64 bit it says Distribution not supported.
bbbenji

Post by bbbenji »

snake2903 wrote:Not working. On Linux Mint 14 64 bit it says Distribution not supported.
Here's how I got it working on Linux Mint 14 x64.

$ sudo cp /etc/lsb-release /etc/lsb-release.bak
$ sudo pico /etc/lsb-release

Replace with (I'm not sure exactly which lines are being checked here by intel-linux-graphics-installer, but definitely not the last one.)

Code: Select all

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 14 Nadia"
$ sudo intel-linux-graphics-installer
Follow installer and wait for it to ask you to reboot
$ sudo rm /etc/lsb-release
$ sudo mv /etc/lsb-release.bak /etc/lsb-release
Reboot
viking777

Post by viking777 »

So warnings like this:
Update: It seems the bold text above isn't enough so here's again, in bold + red: do not install this on Ubuntu 64bit yet (I don't know about Fedora and Ubuntu 32bit, but on Ubuntu 64bit, there are some multi-arch dependency issues which can break you system)!
Don't bother you then? :?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

The thing is about Intel drivers that a new way to install them is not what is needed, what is needed is a new configurator. My wife's win7 laptop has the same Intel graphics as my own, if you press Ctl/Alt/F12 on her machine, you get a very comprehensive driver configuration tool, so comprehensive that I don't even understand half the options it contains! What do we get on Linux? The 'Displays' menu, which is so basic it is almost worthless and crashes half the time you use it anyway.

So a message to all the Intel developers who I am sure devoutly follow my every post on this forum :wink: . Give us a proper configurator, not a new installer (but don't make the keyboard shortcut Ctl/Alt/F12, because on Linux that does something else).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

viking777 wrote:So warnings like this:
Update: It seems the bold text above isn't enough so here's again, in bold + red: do not install this on Ubuntu 64bit yet (I don't know about Fedora and Ubuntu 32bit, but on Ubuntu 64bit, there are some multi-arch dependency issues which can break you system)!
this!
please don't recommend this installer (not in the present version) on 64bit systems. the chances you end up with a broken install are way too high
bbbenji

Post by bbbenji »

viking777 wrote:So warnings like this:
I read that, took the risk anyways. Seems to work just fine.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

There was a very recent article on Phoronix about this if anyone is interested. Didn't say much more than what is already covered here though.
james0658

Post by james0658 »

I did what BBBenji said to do and no problems, never heard my fan run so quiet. My laptop runs at normal temps, and of course I still have Jupiter running to keep an eye on temperatures. I just changed the script to Ubuntu-->Ubuntu 12.04-->Precise, since thats the version Mint 14 is based upon. I followed BBBenji's instructions to the tee and now I have a quiet fan compared to a noisy one.(Despite all the warnings). But I also have a 500 gb hard drive to back things up also, just incase. Thanks! :)

NOTE--I do run a 64bit machine, Dell Inspiron 15r, 6gb ram, i5 intel. finally a normal heated laptop.
geoffm

Post by geoffm »

Managed to run mine by changing /etc/lsb-release to:

Code: Select all

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=raring
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 15 Olivia"
Someone has been complaining about lack of Mint support on the Intel forums. 2 guys from Intel answered that they're just supporting ubuntu and fedora for now and have no intent of supporting another distribution. This doesn't make sense, as there are more Mint users than Fedora. Maybe we should let them know!
nomko

Post by nomko »

zerozero wrote:please don't recommend this installer (not in the present version) on 64bit systems.
Excuse me, i never recommended it for 64-bit systems! I merely pointed out that there's a tool for Intel graphic drivers....
El Zoido

Post by El Zoido »

I've installed the drivers by using this instructions here:
[url]http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-use-intel-linux-graphics-drivers.html[/url]

So far I have not encountered any issues, but YMMV, so take care when using it.

Btw., if I understand it correctly, any 64bit issues have beenlong resolved, too.
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

I saw on LinuxToday that there's a new version v1.06 out now targetting *buntu 14.04 LTS and Fedora 20 .

With Mint 17 now in sync with canonical's LTS are the Intel guys still insisting on a specific "buntu string for installation?

Or could this update be added to the main or "additional" repos?

Since the hard work's been done and Intel's fine open-source drivers are now out there it'd be nice if they also were as widely installed as possible.
nomko

Post by nomko »

misGnomer wrote:I saw on LinuxToday that there's a new version v1.06 out now targetting *buntu 14.04 LTS and Fedora 20. With Mint 17 now in sync with canonical's LTS are the Intel guys still insisting on a specific "buntu string for installation? Or could this update be added to the main or "additional" repos? Since the hard work's been done and Intel's fine open-source drivers are now out there it'd be nice if they also were as widely installed as possible.
I think you still need to edit /etc/lsb-release to get it working. See this thread: http://forum.linuxmint.com/posting.php? ... 3#pr763081
pampacitrus

Post by pampacitrus »

nomko wrote:
misGnomer wrote:I saw on LinuxToday that there's a new version v1.06 out now targetting *buntu 14.04 LTS and Fedora 20. With Mint 17 now in sync with canonical's LTS are the Intel guys still insisting on a specific "buntu string for installation? Or could this update be added to the main or "additional" repos? Since the hard work's been done and Intel's fine open-source drivers are now out there it'd be nice if they also were as widely installed as possible.
I think you still need to edit /etc/lsb-release to get it working. See this thread: http://forum.linuxmint.com/posting.php? ... 3#pr763081
I've downloaded and installed it but it doesn't work on Linux Mint 17 Qiara

Do you have driver for Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) graphic card?
adutchman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adutchman »

update for linux mint 18/ Ubuntu 15.10:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=15.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=wily
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18 Sara
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, adutchman.

What are you trying to tell us with your post, please?
adutchman wrote:update for linux mint 18/ Ubuntu 15.10:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=15.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=wily
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18 Sara
Mint 18 Sarah is based on Ubuntu 16.04, not on Ubuntu 15.10, which by the way must have passed the end of its brief 9 months of supported life.
In case your message tells us that are using a chimera, then the only piece of advice we can give you, is to backup your data and to install either Ubuntu 16.04 from scratch or Linux Mint 18 Sarah from scratch.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Hardware Support”