Question: How do I remove a Title Bar?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nami

Question: How do I remove a Title Bar?

Post by Nami »

Greetings,

I am curious as to if it is possible to remove the Title Bars from various applications. For example I have been able to easily remove it from Chromium and Firefox but would like to at the very least remove it form Thunderbird and XChat, as they are among my most used applications and the redundant/wasted space is frustrating. For clarification of what I mean please see the following image - http://i.imgur.com/FYQG8Jw.png I am currently on Mint 14 (Nadia) with Cinnamon 1.6.7.

I appreciate any guidance you can give,
Nami
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
samriggs

Re: Question: How do I remove a Title Bar?

Post by samriggs »

yup this is done through the metacity file for the theme your using, can make the titlebar any size you want, and design it however you want.
that's if your using cinnamon or mate they use metacity for the framework (titlebar sides and bottom of windows)
Nami

Post by Nami »

samriggs wrote:yup this is done through the metacity file for the theme your using, can make the titlebar any size you want, and design it however you want.
that's if your using cinnamon or mate they use metacity for the framework (titlebar sides and bottom of windows)
Thanks for the information but forgive my ignorance, where do I locate this metacity file? I am using the stock theme for Cinnamon 1.6.7 as far as I'm aware.
Nami

Post by Nami »

On a related note there seems to be an applet that serves my needs however I can't seem to get it working with 1.6.7 - which it does not support clearly. I get an e is null error and missing 'main' when I check errors from Alt+F4 'lg'. Since 1.6.7 doesn't seem to have an extensions folder I dropped it in applets and renamed the .js to applet.js.

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/extensions/view/19
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I'm using 1.6 and mine has an extension folder, if you go into your home directory then .local (hidden folder) then share>cinnamon if extensions isn't there just add the folder, it should work although I like my titlebars so I wouldn't use this extension.
Themes are in the themes folder but you can make your own by adding a .themes folder to your home directory and just copy paste the theme into there and rename it so it shows up differently.
Then go into the theme folder inside the metacity one you'll see a xml thats where you can adjust the titlebar, but if you never done it before it might be abit difficult, unless you know some xml then it should be too bad.
BUT if you can get this extension working then it would be a lot better way to go.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Ok ya got me too curious.
I downloaded it and tried it out and I got it working, but it only does it at max window on mine.
I'm using LMDE
so go into the .local then to share>cinnamon then create a folder called extensions
put it inside that, but open the metadata.json file and add your "1.6.7" or else it wont work
mine json file looks like this

Code: Select all

{
 "extension-id": "maximus-cinnamon",
 "uuid": "maximus-cinnamon@mathematical.coffee.gmail.com",
 "name": "Maximus",
 "description": "Undecorate maximized windows, like Ubuntu's old 'Maximus' package. See readme at extension homepage.",
 "cinnamon-version": [ 
     "1.4", "1.5", "1.5.1", "1.5.2" , "1.6.7"
 ],
 "url": "https://bitbucket.org/mathematicalcoffee/maximus-gnome-shell-extension",
 "version": 5,
 "dev-version": "2.0"
}
I rebooted it and volia it works but only on max window.
make sure you go into menu>preferences>cinnamon settings > extensions and choose it from there.
Not a bad extension although I won't be using it but it ain't bad
Sam
Nami

Post by Nami »

samriggs wrote:Ok ya got me too curious.
I downloaded it and tried it out and I got it working, but it only does it at max window on mine.
I'm using LMDE
so go into the .local then to share>cinnamon then create a folder called extensions
put it inside that, but open the metadata.json file and add your "1.6.7" or else it wont work
mine json file looks like this

{
 "extension-id": "maximus-cinnamon",
 "uuid": "maximus-cinnamon@mathematical.coffee.gmail.com",
 "name": "Maximus",
 "description": "Undecorate maximized windows, like Ubuntu's old 'Maximus' package. See readme at extension homepage.",
 "cinnamon-version": [ 
     "1.4", "1.5", "1.5.1", "1.5.2" , "1.6.7"
 ],
 "url": "https://bitbucket.org/mathematicalcoffee/maximus-gnome-shell-extension",
 "version": 5,
 "dev-version": "2.0"
}
I rebooted it and volia it works but only on max window.
make sure you go into menu>preferences>cinnamon settings > extensions and choose it from there.
Not a bad extension although I won't be using it but it ain't bad
Sam
Thanks for the info, I didn't think to just simply create an extensions folder heh :?

However I instead installed the PPA for Cinnamon 1.8.2 and after struggling to get it functioning it appears as if Extensions are back in, and the Maximus extension works just fine after a restart. But this might help other users I would hope. I was specifically looking for decorations being removed while Maximized but I'd love to see a better solution for removing the Title Bar in tiled/non full-screen windows. This however is a satisfying result for now.

Thanks everyone :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I think I got the solution for you, in the javascript file you will see this

/*** If you want to undecorate half-maximised windows then change this to true. ***/
const undecorateHalfMaximised = false;
set it to true instead of false for the boolean and try it out and see if it works for you.
I kind of figured if he got max windows undecorated you should be able to do the same in the same code for unmax windows as well and it looks like he did add an option for that also.
Hope it works for you.
Sam
Nami

Post by Nami »

samriggs wrote:I think I got the solution for you, in the javascript file you will see this

/*** If you want to undecorate half-maximised windows then change this to true. ***/
set it to true instead of false for the boolean and try it out and see if it works for you.
I kind of figured if he got max windows undecorated you should be able to do the same in the same code for unmax windows as well and it looks like he did add an option for that also.
Hope it works for you.
Sam
Very cool, thanks for the insight. Though it is annoying that the decorations removes the - + x along with the title bar neither were really neccessary to begin with, I always just used OS Key+Arrows to justify left/right/maximize/minimize and the toolbar to close windows.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Nami wrote:
samriggs wrote:I think I got the solution for you, in the javascript file you will see this

Hope it works for you.
Sam
Very cool, thanks for the insight. Though it is annoying that the decorations removes the - + x along with the title bar neither were really neccessary to begin with, I always just used OS Key+Arrows to justify left/right/maximize/minimize and the toolbar to close windows.
Yup the - + X is part of the titlebar, the outer frame is the metacity (which includes the resizing and close buttons0, anything inside the window is the gtk, the panel and rest (pretty much) is the shell (gnome, cinnamon, unity etc)

Return to “Software & Applications”