Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wolfyrion

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Post by wolfyrion »

anyone manage to install compiz Fusion with cinnamon and make it work?

if so please tell....
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wolfyrion wrote:anyone manage to install compiz Fusion with cinnamon and make it work?

if so please tell....
compiz is not compatible with muffin (the cinnamon window-manager)
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

tdockery97 wrote:
godsotherhand wrote:( doing dist-upgrade and it gives me the EFI kernel even tho i dont need that. Then, it wont boot with that kernel (kernel panic). If i select the old normal kernel, i get other error, this time in green text (weird green text) telling me that it will be fixed with a reboot... lies! ).
Keep in mind that Linux Mint is designed to NOT do dist-upgrade. That's why the default setting on the Update Manager is set to levels 1-3. Bringing in a newer kernel can cause instability and eat your hamster.
yeah, but in order to upgrade from RC to normal release you need to do a dist-upgrade..
Besides it's not that a big of a problem.. in 2 years dist-upgrade broke it like 3-4 times...and it was fixed like the next day.. (i dont mind breaking it).
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

godsotherhand wrote:yeah, but in order to upgrade from RC to normal release you need to do a dist-upgrade..
Besides it's not that a big of a problem.. in 2 years dist-upgrade broke it like 3-4 times...and it was fixed like the next day.. (i dont mind breaking it).
Not true. Just applying normal updates with the update manager brings you from the RC to the final release. This has been stated by Clem himself many times in the release announcements.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/05/linux-m ... -been.html

ISO's available now - downloading cinnamon 18 at the moment
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

USBtux, please note:
zerozero wrote:Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/g ... -us-a-bit/
usbtux wrote: ISO's available now - downloading cinnamon 18 at the moment
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Adelante wrote:USBtux, please note:
zerozero wrote:Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/g ... -us-a-bit/
usbtux wrote: ISO's available now - downloading cinnamon 18 at the moment

Gonna wait awhile before downloading 18 but I did install 15 in VBox and didn't burst into flames - but it's smokin'.

Pat
Gosh you have a lot of nice toys here.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

tdockery97 wrote:
godsotherhand wrote:yeah, but in order to upgrade from RC to normal release you need to do a dist-upgrade..
Not true. Just applying normal updates with the update manager brings you from the RC to the final release. This has been stated by Clem himself many times in the release announcements.
Really? In that case sorry, my bad.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The RC is now released officially: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

This is great news! Though the fact that you need a processor equipped with "PAE" is the deal breaker for me. I just hope that the next LTS release (Mint 17... right?) will still allow my lowly 1.5 GHz Pentium M (the one with the "Centrino" badging stickered onto it) to work.
-Snowrider-

Post by -Snowrider- »

rkmugen wrote:This is great news! Though the fact that you need a processor equipped with "PAE" is the deal breaker for me. I just hope that the next LTS release (Mint 17... right?) will still allow my lowly 1.5 GHz Pentium M (the one with the "Centrino" badging stickered onto it) to work.
Check this post out it may help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p719569
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

-Snowrider- wrote:Check this post out it may help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p719569
!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! :D

However, because I just re-installed LM13XFCE and spent hours fine-tuning it, I don't think I'll be re-trying Nadia (14) or perhaps even Olivia any time soon. The slowness of my internet connection is the sheer reason I usually stay away from downloading non-LTS releases like 14, 15, and perhaps even 16..... if something goes wrong with any of those, it's a real pain in the .... err... a real shot in the arm to have to go back and reinstall 13. I generally don't fool around with multiple partitions.... i'm a simple man!

It was just out of overwhelming curiosity to see the direction of where the OS was going in terms of hardware support that I really pushed myself to try Mint 14 at all. At some point, you kind of just get tired of version-hopping and just want some stability... I'm really speaking for myself, though I know there are others out there who'd agree with me.

So, I guess I'll likely try the technique out with the "fake-PAE" kernel when the next LTS release comes out..... that is, if the guys at Ubuntu don't cut us all a break by either refusing or neglecting to ship their next LTS with a non-PAE kernel (i'm under the assumption that Mint's next LTS will be based invariably on Ubuntu's next LTS).

Again, thank you for this!
claudepaquette

Post by claudepaquette »

How do you change the screen resolution in Mint 15???

I can't find anymore the option to change it or to manage dual screens.

I'm stuck in mirror mode with low resolution.
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

Hi, I eventually found display settings in System Settings by activating 'advanced settings'. More options, including display will then appear. This does seem a bit counter intuitive.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Silly (even dumb maybe) question; I noticed during install that there is a skip button on the progress bar. I didn't want to click it as I wasn't sure what exactly it would skip :oops:

Pat
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The roadmap shows good progress for the RC: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap. Out of 82 issues reported by users on the blog, already 55 have been handled! There are sure to be a few though ones in there, but looks good for final release this month I think :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”