Updates

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Updates

Post by antiquexray »

Couple questions with respect to updates. After reloading Bianca, I got this message for 106 updates. I chose not to update the language packs, so now every time I sign in I get the message I have 65 to update. My questions are:

#1 Is there really a reason to update these languages when all I'm going to use is English?

#2 Is there away to tell the Update Manager not to bother me with these particular language packs anymore?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I had a problem with the Ubuntu survey that kept wanting to be installed. So if anyone has the answer, it would be appreciated.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Removal

Post by euthypro »

Hi!

I simply used synaptic to remove all language packs except the ones I needed. So, no more wanting to update. Saves a bit of space also.

Angel
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Removal

Post by antiquexray »

euthypro wrote:Hi!

I simply used synaptic to remove all language packs except the ones I needed. So, no more wanting to update. Saves a bit of space also.

Angel
That wasn't my question. In the tool bar I have the notice to load the language packs. It won't go away. Is it possible to tell not to ask me for these language packs anymore?
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry!

Post by euthypro »

Perhaps I misunderstood, but since the language packs are no longer installed, Update Manager doesn't ask to update them.
OzTracker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OzTracker »

I had the same problem when I first loaded Bianca but just went into Control Center|Administration|Language Support and unchecked all the languages I wasn't interested in.

I've never been bothered with any requests for language updates since then.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

antiquexray wrote:

Angel
That wasn't my question. In the tool bar I have the notice to load the language packs. It won't go away. Is it possible to tell not to ask me for these language packs anymore?
That is the solution, use synaptic to remove the language packs and you will not be bothered with updating them.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

marcus0263 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:

That is the solution, use synaptic to remove the language packs and you will not be bothered with updating them.
I might understand, perhaps, maybe, kind of...I hope. Are you saying that if I use Synaptic, and let's say do a search for language, it will bring all of them up and I can pick and chose the ones I don't want, thus stopping the need for an upgrade, or are you saying I have to make a list of current upgrades, search for them individually, and mark them for removal?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

antiquexray wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:
antiquexray wrote: That wasn't my question. In the tool bar I have the notice to load the language packs. It won't go away. Is it possible to tell not to ask me for these language packs anymore?
I might understand, perhaps, maybe, kind of...I hope. Are you saying that if I use Synaptic, and let's say do a search for language, it will bring all of them up and I can pick and chose the ones I don't want, thus stopping the need for an upgrade, or are you saying I have to make a list of current upgrades, search for them individually, and mark them for removal?
Run Synaptic and do a search for language-pack then mark as "complete removal".

hint - <ctrl> <click> is your friend while removing them ;-)

Yes it would be nice if the installer gave you the option to install "additional" Languages or not. It's a pain, but once you remove them you shouldn't be bothered with it again unless there's an application with an upstream requirement for the dependency.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

marcus0263 wrote:Run Synaptic and do a search for language-pack then mark as "complete removal".

hint - <ctrl> <click> is your friend while removing them ;-)

Yes it would be nice if the installer gave you the option to install "additional" Languages or not.
Well, I did as you instructed. There were a lot of language-packs. I deleted everything but English and Klingon (you never know when you might need to talk with a Klingon). I wish I would have kept track of how many megs I freed up. Everything worked fine, even <ctrl> <click>. Then a light went on :idea:, if <ctrl> <click> worked, would not <shift> <click>. Of course it did, and that, I found, was disturbing :(.

It brouth to mind a time, when entering a hospital, I saw a sign that said, "Over Eater Anonymous will meet in the cafeteria." I thought to myself, How strange is that :?: :?: :?:, wouldn't that be like Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in a bar :shock:? What's the connection you ask??? Just this, I realized that I use <ctrl> <click> and <shift> <click> in the Windows enviroment, and now trying to break myself of of this addiction after finding this most excellent distro, I was once again reminded of it :( (I need a drink...and maybe a pizza to go with it :wink:).
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Updates

Post by npap »

Hello everybody,

antiquexray said. Quote:
#1 Is there really a reason to update these languages when all I'm going to use is English?

#2 Is there away to tell the Update Manager not to bother me with these particular language packs anymore?[/quote]

Answer:
Clem went to the trouble to set up an automatic language selection scheme in
Menu>Contol Center>Language Support. You don't have to go to synaptic.
Just uncheck the boxes under Support that you don't want, then wait until removal is complete, Leave your language checked! :)

You won't be bothered with unnecessary updates anymore, except an update for the language of your choice.

Another way is to disconnect your Internet connection when you are installing LinuxMint to your hard disc. Default language in this case is English.

PS Quote: Yes it would be nice if the installer gave you the option to install "additional" Languages or not.
Abswer:Clicking F4 in the installation menu gives you the choice of language.

Greetings, npap
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Updates

Post by antiquexray »

npap wrote: Clem went to the trouble to set up an automatic language selection scheme in
Menu>Contol Center>Language Support. You don't have to go to synaptic.
Just uncheck the boxes under Support that you don't want, then wait until removal is complete, Leave your language checked! :)
Now you tell me. You should have said so sooner :) NOT!!!
Psst, if you had I wouldn't have got my beer and pizza :lol:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Updates

Post by npap »

Well Antiquexray,
If you join us at the Mint Café once in a while you will get a Mint Julep and a pizza!
That's where we sometimes talk about serious things too, like Languages.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Enlightenment!

Post by euthypro »

Thank you npap. I search a bit in this and other forums while learning to use Linux, but had not seen or paid attention to that one. I answered this post because no one else did, and I had gone through the process. Nice to know there is an easier way. I believe OzTracker pointed that out a few postings up. It's a very nice feature, although it doesn't get the star billing with Mintdisk and others.

As far as installing without connecting, I had to do that, just because I had to go find some Ubuntu incantations to get my wireless to work. I still was loaded with all the language packs. I'll try F4 next time.

Cheers,

Angel
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Updates

Post by npap »

Hello Angel,
About languages, I have done some extensive checking. and here's what I found .
Hitting F4 at the start of the Live CD installation you can get a different language than the Default which is always English.
It changes the language in the menus: F1 thru F10. but you don't necessarily get your installation instructions in a different language, most of the time. They are in English; unless the Translation and Help files ( En,tr and en.hlp) in the Isolinux folder have been translated to that language in the installation CD.
F1 etc have nothing to do with the main language packs.

Language packs are always downloaded during the last part of the installation process. If you do your installation with your Internet connection disabled, you
simply don't get any other languages except English, by default.
What's more, you don't get the automatic updates for them. You just get the update for the English language pack.
Of course, you can download any language pack you want with Synaptic after the installation to the hard disc.

BTW, Clem had suggested not to make any selections of language etc before the hard disc installation, since this might cause the process to crash.
I don't know if this warning is still valid for the final Bianca release.

Greetings, npap

Return to “Other topics”