Firefox Download Hard-coded to not work?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rhugga

Firefox Download Hard-coded to not work?

Post by rhugga »

Ok I've reached frustration's end with the bundled firefox browser. It has a myriad of quirky issues I never saw in Ubuntu. (not to mention the not having google as a search provider /facepalm)

I downloaded a firefox tarball and can't get it to work. Very odd behavior. Is this distro hard-coded to prevent this somehow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dyfi

Re: Firefox Download Hard-coded to not work?

Post by Dyfi »

I am using firefox esr (extended service release). Download, extract, no install - just run it. One great advantage is that it is moveable i.e. to anothe distro and it retains all your settings.
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

rhugga wrote:I downloaded a firefox tarball and can't get it to work.
What won't work? What errors did you get? Try running it in the terminal to see if it give you any errors. Did you download the 32 or 64 bit version in accordance with your system?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

rhugga wrote:(not to mention the not having google as a search provider /facepalm)
Yeah...facepalm indeed.
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

rhugga wrote:(not to mention the not having google as a search provider /facepalm)
It is easy to add: http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

overthetop wrote:
It is easy to add: http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
Indeed.

Am I the only one that actually uses (and likes!) duckduckgo? :(
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Spec-chum wrote:Am I the only one that actually uses (and likes!) duckduckgo? :(
No :) I ditch Google search engine whenever I can. I mainly use ixquick/Startpage however when I have to use Google power.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

rhugga wrote:Ok I've reached frustration's end with the bundled firefox browser. It has a myriad of quirky issues I never saw in Ubuntu. (not to mention the not having google as a search provider /facepalm)I downloaded a firefox tarball and can't get it to work. Very odd behavior. Is this distro hard-coded to prevent this somehow?
You can change all that in "about:config" page. Here's a copy of that section changed in mine.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Beginner Questions”