USB2 Maxtor Hard Drive not recognised

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sologeoff
Level 1
Level 1

USB2 Maxtor Hard Drive not recognised

Post by Sologeoff »

Hi to all my learned Mint Linux Friends.
I am a newbie to Linux
I have a Compaq Presario Laptop which I use in a HP XB2000 Notebook Expansion Base which has a Maxtor 160gb hard drive inbuilt.
My Question is: Linux Mint doesn't recognise the hard drive.
HELP!! What can I do to make the mint see my hard drive?
All help would be appreciated.
Kind Regards
Geoff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: USB2 Maxtor Hard Drive not recognised

Post by Husse »

Is there any software that's supposed to "help" the disk?
How is the "HP XB2000 Notebook Expansion Base" connected to the laptop?
The disk, is it SATA or PATA?
Sologeoff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sologeoff »

Husse wrote:Is there any software that's supposed to "help" the disk?
Hi Husse Thank you for interest & time to help it is appreciated. The answer to the above question is NO
How is the "HP XB2000 Notebook Expansion Base" connected to the laptop?
Pardon my ignorance All I can say it is via a cable I just plug into my Laptop
The disk, is it SATA or PATA?
This is a hard question I am sorry All I can tell you is that is a Maxtor 120GiG IDE Hard Drive.
My Understanding is that the expansion Base has the means to make it a USB connected drive
Puppy Linux recognizes the drive. and XP Windows does.
I don't know that my answers to your questions will help much I am sorry
As I have said I am Newbie with BIG L plates on but I am willing to learn, I am an Oldie too an a Senior Citizen.
Kind Regards
Geoff
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well, I'm kinda senior citizen too, with only a few years to retirement....
Oh - did not notice at first - welcome to Mint Sologeoff
PATA is IDE
ATA is the general term and it is the same as IDE if you're not too careful with what you say :)
P = Parallell S= Serial
And you are telling me that it is a standard IDE disk connected by USB, that's what I wanted to know
USB is an acronym for Universal Serial Bus and herein lays the problem - converting parallell to serial.
This can cause problems, depending on how things are done in the kernel (and elsewhere).
I bet puppy has another kernel
I've also seen reports that Linux file systems are OK but not Win (ntfs and fat) but other than that not much
Sologeoff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sologeoff »

Husse wrote:Well, I'm kinda senior citizen too, with only a few years to retirement....
Oh - did not notice at first - welcome to Mint Sologeoff
PATA is IDE
ATA is the general term and it is the same as IDE if you're not too careful with what you say :)
P = Parallell S= Serial
And you are telling me that it is a standard IDE disk connected by USB, that's what I wanted to know
USB is an acronym for Universal Serial Bus and herein lays the problem - converting parallell to serial.
This can cause problems, depending on how things are done in the kernel (and elsewhere).
I bet puppy has another kernel
I've also seen reports that Linux file systems are OK but not Win (ntfs and fat) but other than that not much
Hi Husse
Thank you for reply
So if I understand you right there is no answer to my problem?
I like mint, but I need to access this drive.
Does that mean I have to keep looking for Linux distros until I find one that will recognize my USB drive?
Kind Regards
Geoff
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have way too many questions to answer to dig deep into one, but this is an important problem and I'll take a look at it, unless the cold I'm beginning to feel forces me to bed
Sologeoff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sologeoff »

Husse wrote:I have way too many questions to answer to dig deep into one, but this is an important problem and I'll take a look at it, unless the cold I'm beginning to feel forces me to bed
Hi Husse
Thank you for your reply and interest in my problem.
I will eagerly await to hear from you.
I understand that these problems can take time, time & more time to reach a satisfactory outcome.
and as you have stated I am not the only fish in the sea with questions & problems.
I appreciated your willingness to take on the problem and try and rectify.
Kind Regards
Geoff
Sologeoff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sologeoff »

Husse wrote:I have way too many questions to answer to dig deep into one, but this is an important problem and I'll take a look at it, unless the cold I'm beginning to feel forces me to bed
Hi Husse
Have you managed to dig deep into this problem of mine?
Kind Regards
Geoff :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - no I haven't Look at the number of posts I make. An inactive topic disappears out of sight the day after it's written - at the latest :)
I'll try to read this one before it disappears again, but it will probably have to wait until tomorrow
Husse

Post by Husse »

I did not think I was particularly active in the forum today and still this topic was found as # 4 from the bottom of the present "View your posts" page. I write this so you can understand why I do not always answer previous questions :)
The problem is in someway serial to parallel but there are so many different such devices that I can't see why it should not work
Is there any chance to connect the drive directly to the laptop?
Also the drive is to use it's own power adapter, but that's about the only thing I've managed to find out
You wrote
Puppy Linux recognizes the drive
Which kernel does it use? If you don't know you find out this way

Code: Select all

uname -a
Puppy is a bit special I think
Sologeoff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sologeoff »

Husse wrote:I did not think I was particularly active in the forum today and still this topic was found as # 4 from the bottom of the present "View your posts" page. I write this so you can understand why I do not always answer previous questions :)
The problem is in someway serial to parallel but there are so many different such devices that I can't see why it should not work
Is there any chance to connect the drive directly to the laptop?
Also the drive is to use it's own power adapter, but that's about the only thing I've managed to find out
You wrote
Puppy Linux recognizes the drive
Which kernel does it use? If you don't know you find out this way

Code: Select all

uname -a
Puppy is a bit special I think
Hi Husse
Thanks again for your interest & time it is appreciated. I decided to put my Wifes Laptop on this Expansion Base, her Laptop is a Hp Compaq X6000 using Windows to my surprise Windows is not recognizing the Expansion Base now either it used to.
So I am beginning to think that the Expansion base is faulty.
My next step is to take the Base to a repairer.
I will let you know the outcome
By the way you are also helping me out with my other problem The Nokia 6110 Mobile Phone that Mint won't recognize
Thanks again
Kind Regards
Geoff
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well I have to be a busy bee to keep all the Minties happy :mrgreen:

Return to “Hardware Support”