creating new media centre running linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npicot2304

creating new media centre running linux mint

Post by npicot2304 »

Hi All

coming from a windows based system and not liking the new windows 8 software i am looking in to creating a new media centre running linux with the following requirements

Web Browser
PVR function
PIP function
Youtube
and posably video editing and maybe photo editing

does anyone have any ideas as there i was unaware how big the linux community is and i would like to be appart of it as i am sick of having to buy new updates for windows based OS

thanx
Nathan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: creating new media centre running linux mint

Post by passerby »

For PVR, MythTV seems to be the popular choice.
The web browser (and, by extension, youtube) shouldn't differ from Windows. Chrome, Firefox and other big name browsers are available on linux.
For image editing, GIMP is the usual choice. Not sure about video editors. They're out there, I've just never used them.
Regarding PIP: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590824
Brahim Salem

Re: creating new media centre running linux mint

Post by Brahim Salem »

XBMC is the best media center I know of. If you want the best media center ever out go your software manager and simply install XBMC. To get the latest version go to http://www.noobslab.com/2013/01/install ... buntu.html :D

Moovida is great too and there's lots of media centers for Linux :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”