[Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Postby DigitalNoise on Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 am

First off, I realize this is an RC, and thus is still subject to some bugs - but I think what I'm encountering is more than just a minor bug, so I'm curious to see what others think.

Hardware:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
  • 4 GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512
  • 250 GB SATA HDD x 1
  • 640 GB SATA HDD x 1
I decided to use the Mint 15 Cinnamon RC release to replace my aginig Ubuntu 10.10 install from several years ago that I had let languish and now couldn't update (easily).

Since installing Mint 15, however, I've noticed a LOT of little issues that are driving me nuts, and I'm not sure what the causes are:

• Screen tearing when scrolling webpages or any type of window. I've installed the "recommended" nVidia proprietary drivers, but it hasn't made a difference.
  • Web browsing is SLOW - really, anything related to the internet is slower than when I was on Ubuntu 10.10. I've got a hardwired 1Gbps link to my router with a 50Mbps internet connection. Pages that were previously instantaneous are now incredibly slow to load.
  • Panel applets don't install correctly. Could be a version compatibility issue I suppose.
  • Screen/text clarity is not great. I've already corrected for the native resolution on both my displays; that's not the issue. Fonts just don't look... right.
  • Over all the whole experience just feels MUCH slower than Ubuntu 10.10
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I should stick it out with this and try to get it working better, or if I should roll back to Mint 14 or 13. Are there any really super compelling, must-have features in 15?

Additionally, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Cinnamon is an overlay to GNOME 3, and MATE is an overlay to GNOME 2, correct? Is there a compelling reason to chose one over the other? I have to admit I like how Cinnamon handles multiple workspaces (that's just neat!), but I'm not so heavy of a user that I think it's going to be that much of an issue for me.
DigitalNoise
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Postby kc1di on Sat May 18, 2013 5:50 am

DigitalNoise wrote:Additionally, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Cinnamon is an overlay to GNOME 3, and MATE is an overlay to GNOME 2, correct? Is there a compelling reason to chose one over the other? I have to admit I like how Cinnamon handles multiple workspaces (that's just neat!), but I'm not so heavy of a user that I think it's going to be that much of an issue for me.

Can't answer most of your question but just a little correction on the Cinnamon/Mate thing. Cinnamon is infact a shell of gnome 3 but a highly developed one.
but Mate is a continuation of gnome 2x series that is being heavily developed as a fork of gnome 2x. so it's not just an overlay but a completed Desktop environment that has been developed to the point it can use newer libraries and newer packages.

I like them both , but unfortunately at the moment I'm getting a kernel panic with the 3.8 kernel, but this seems to be an upstream issue as I get it with any distro on my laptop that uses the 3.8 kernel. Haven't found a fix yet. still looking.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Postby DigitalNoise on Sat May 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, 15 decided to just randomly crash on me during the night with no indication of why, so... not cool. I think I may end up rolling back to an earlier version or going with a different distro all together.

Still love to know why I'm having such issues though - I've never had an OS problem on this machine before.
DigitalNoise
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions