2 quick questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spec-chum

2 quick questions

Post by Spec-chum »

Hey all, I tried Linux a couple of years back but ended up going back to windows for a couple of reasons, which I won't go into here.

I decided to try Linux mint 14 last night completely removing windows. :)

Anyway, 2 questions.

Everything seems to be working OK , even the issues I had before, but I've got an issue with the pull downs. It sometimes doesn't stay open and I have to hold the mouse button down to select whatever I need to select. I've searched on here so forgive me if its already been answered, but i couldn't see an answer.

2nd question. I installed the mate version and want to try Cinnamon. Can I just apt-get install it alongside mate?

Sorry for the noob questions, I'll soon get back up to speed lol

Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
danielfnj96

Re: 2 quick questions

Post by danielfnj96 »

Ok well to your first question about the menu you just click the little mint/mate/whatever button to open it one time, then move over the rest of the menu, and to your other question yes you can install cinnamon alongside mate through synaptic or the terminal.
Spec-chum

Re: Re: 2 quick questions

Post by Spec-chum »

danielfnj96 wrote:Ok well to your first question about the menu you just click the little mint/mate/whatever button to open it one time, then move over the rest of the menu, and to your other question yes you can install cinnamon alongside mate through synaptic or the terminal.
Thank you but I mean it happens from any pull down menu, not just mint related ones.

Any menu that I have to select an option on disappears unless I hold the mouse button down.

I'll try with Cinnamon

Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

Well, the menu "issue" is still there on Mint 15 RC (Cinnamon).

I'm starting to think it might be my mouse (Razer Habu) but it works fine in Windows *shudder*

It's not a deal breaker but it does get annoying when I accidently click the top item on a menu.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The Razer Habu seems to have been specifically built for Windows gaming in partnership with Microsoft. Maybe its gazillion of exotic functions are not well supported with a standard mouse driver.
Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

eanfrid wrote:The Razer Habu seems to have been specifically built for Windows gaming in partnership with Microsoft. Maybe its gazillion of exotic functions are not well supported with a standard mouse driver.
Yeah, I think you're right.

The fact that it exhibits the same problem across multiple distros rules out a software issue really.

It's just odd that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Ah well, still loving being windows free ;)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I had similar happen at first with Kubuntu, as I recall it was related to some add-on in my firefox. I uninstalled them one by one till I found the culprit. I don't know why that affected things outside firefox, but did. I wish I could remember the exact one.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spec-chum

Re: Re: 2 quick questions

Post by Spec-chum »

Spearmint2 wrote:I had similar happen at first with Kubuntu, as I recall it was related to some add-on in my firefox. I uninstalled them one by one till I found the culprit. I don't know why that affected things outside firefox, but did. I wish I could remember the exact one.
Interesting, I'll take a look.

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”