Menu button disappaered in Mate Olivia

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whs

Menu button disappaered in Mate Olivia

Post by whs »

I have successfully installed Mate Olivia and at first everything was quite normal. But then out of the blue (possibly after updates), the menu button has completely disappeared from the left bottom of the screen. I am limping along with Alt+F1 but I really would like to have my menu button back.

If anybody knows an easy cure, I would appreciate input. I am not a very versed Linux user so please make the answer such that a Linux novice can understand it.

Here is an image of my desktop. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/54 ... 72240.png/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Menu button disappaered in Mate Olivia

Post by xenopeek »

Have you tried adding it back?
whs

Post by whs »

xenopeek wrote:Have you tried adding it back?
How do I do that.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Oh. Right-click the panel, choose add to panel, select mintMenu.
whs

Post by whs »

xenopeek wrote:Oh. Right-click the panel, choose add to panel, select mintMenu.
I have tried that. But there is no 'Add to panel'. This is all there is:

http://imageshack.us/a/img855/4168/201305181737.png
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Right-click on an empty space on the panel instead. You clicked on another applet, and those don't allow you to add applets.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

you have to turn the "lock" off first.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's not needed for MATE. Lock is just to lock an applet to a specific spot on the panel. It doesn't hinder you adding other applets. This isn't Cinnamon or KDE :wink:
whs

Post by whs »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked.

I suspect that I got a bum .iso. That has happened to me before. The only ones I trust are from the Madison University but the other day their server was so busy that it would have taken more than 4 hours to download. So I downloaded from a local server instead.

I now got a copy from Madison and there is no problem after I installed that. So for now the problem is solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”