So, Mint 15 RC Cinnamon is sucking..

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidpbrown

So, Mint 15 RC Cinnamon is sucking..

Post by davidpbrown »

So, long time Mint and Linux user.. I just fresh installed Mint 15 with Cinnamon and stumbling across alsorts of basic issues. I'd been using Mint 12 Mate for a long time and getting along fine, so might now do a switch to Mate.

The Panel application icons 'applet' is unresponsive; the look of the panels is basic with font size too small and tweaking that scales poorly; and there's a odd ripple effect as I scroll that looks like a graphics driver not performing though its the same driver I've used before. There's an odd delay for shutdown complaining about some modem issue and then needs sudo reboot to force it. The troubleshooting Looking Glass offers no simple way to close that - if you know then clicking the panel seems to get rid of it but while it's there it selfishly holds focus. All in all not impressed. Compounded with some video flash issue with inverted colours on .flv, I'm rather regretting doing this upgrade.

Perhaps in time it'll settle down but I feel like I've steps back three years into Ubuntu's past. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Adelante

Re: So, Mint 15 RC Cinnamon is sucking..

Post by Adelante »

I guess I got lucky. I'm not finding much to trouble me at all, just struggling to get the Netflix PPA to stick. Maybe it's just due to different computers, but I certainly didn't experience what you have. That would have been upsetting. I think the RC release (I'm also using Cinnamon) is beautiful and I'm glad I decided to try it ahead of the final release.
Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

Adelante wrote:I guess I got lucky. I'm not finding much to trouble me at all, just struggling to get the Netflix PPA to stick. Maybe it's just due to different computers, but I certainly didn't experience what you have. That would have been upsetting. I think the RC release (I'm also using Cinnamon) is beautiful and I'm glad I decided to try it ahead of the final release.
Ditto, Oliva RC working fine and dandy for me to, I'm even living dangerously and using it as my daily driver :)

I
zekler

Post by zekler »

I tried mint 15 cinnamon and i removed it quickly as it made my CPU run at 100% and got very hot.Im now testing out the mint 15 edition but in that i am having flash player issues. :evil:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

davidpbrown wrote:So, long time Mint and Linux user.. I just fresh installed Mint 15 with Cinnamon and stumbling across alsorts of basic issues. I'd been using Mint 12 Mate for a long time and getting along fine, so might now do a switch to Mate.

The Panel application icons 'applet' is unresponsive; the look of the panels is basic with font size too small and tweaking that scales poorly; and there's a odd ripple effect as I scroll that looks like a graphics driver not performing though its the same driver I've used before. There's an odd delay for shutdown complaining about some modem issue and then needs sudo reboot to force it. The troubleshooting Looking Glass offers no simple way to close that - if you know then clicking the panel seems to get rid of it but while it's there it selfishly holds focus. All in all not impressed. Compounded with some video flash issue with inverted colours on .flv, I'm rather regretting doing this upgrade.

Perhaps in time it'll settle down but I feel like I've steps back three years into Ubuntu's past. :(
Try the easier path. Lower your screen resolution. That makes everything get larger.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
KX250

Post by KX250 »

i'm also having the same problem when scrolling down say on google or on this forum, seems to have a ripple effect, also does it in vlc player, current screen res: 1360 x 768

and i get unusal locking up where i can only move the mouse and do nothing else wich forces me to reboot :(

other than that it still better than windows wich i have used for over 15 years and untill i discovered mint, i dont even have it on dual boot :P
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

mint 15 is working fine on my sony lap top also. Too many people want to blame mint when its most of the time hardware problems, video drivers etc. This is a rc not a finished product.
davidpbrown

Post by davidpbrown »

So, I've moved to Mint 13 and expect now to stay with that LTS for my desktop.
I've had Mint 14 on the laptop for a while, with no issues.

The only issue while installing Mint 13 was grub broke.. I did 'something else' for the partition allocation, as is usual, and had to fix with the live-cd which was a first but relatively trivial.

:)
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I hate Mint 15 RC, I have seen to many bugs that I know they can't fix in two weeks. Ok first lets start with the Live DVD. It sucks. The boot screen takes longer then Mint 14's boot screen. confused, why Clem! Then you have the ugly installer. What happened to the icons, come on Clem we want our eye candy. Oh, by the way you can't upgrade anymore. Come on, it used to be that you can put in a dvd and just upgrade to the newest verson. Then you have the installer, the thing does not even fully work. I tried to duel boot with 14 and it crashed. I had to wipe out the hard drive. Why should we have to do that. Then you have that stupid dots on the botom of the installer. All they have to do is add the progress bar and it would look good. Then last is the presentation that you see doing the install. The problum here is that you can't loop through it like you could in 14, come on Clem! So next on to the actual functionalaty.

Ok, so I had to install 15 RC twice, TWICE WITH IN ONE DAY! First MInt 15 is tring to be better to new users then Ubuntu, that is not mints job ok. MOst of us like to customise our systoms, yet if you do it in Mint 15 you risk a crash. First you can't use applets, I tried adding multaple applets from the cinnamon site and after installing about 15 cinnamon crashed. I did not even activate them in the settings. You can't even downgrade to a solid verion of cinnamon. Next is the community site as nothing works. I tried to install sevral games, but the download process did not even start. Then you have the software center and that does not even work. You can't install programs, some don't want to even load up the information screen, and you can't even log in. Then you have the fact that you can't use old software, why because Mint 15 does not come with Gnome, WHAT THE rainbows, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT CLEM, YOU KNOW MANY WOULD BE SWITHING FROM 12 AND 13 JUST TO FIND MOST OF THEIR SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK, THIS IS NOT WINDOWS! Mint 15 also does not play with custom fonts or icons. If you install any diffrent ones you will get errors. Apps don't work, the menu disapears or I get an error message.confused Clem. Even Mint 14's RC was better then this. Then you have this stupid systom of themes get rid of it. We don't care get ride of /home/()/ .cinnamon.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Wow, sometimes a step back is in order. It's ultimately a brand new release that is still not yet released. Instead of just blaming the dev, why not present the issues in a constructive way so that others don't read your post as an insult? It's fine to find issues and ask that they be addressed, but it would be more easily accepted if it was done in a respectful manner. It will also help other users to read your posts and issues you've had to see if they can duplicate them on their own machines or if those issues point more to specific hardware and/or drivers that others may not have.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I have all ready done that on the comunity formus!
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

Clem you messed up Mint bad. We can't change the log in screen after the update know. I was looking forward to that and now it goes asay. All we get is that ugly clear screen. If this does not geting better then I will swtich back to 14 and start some new compition to MInt.
Churito

Post by Churito »

Since cinnamon came up I've tried all new LinuxMint versions even newest 15 :? I couldn't do it to work at all :? my screen became surrealistic full of lines, curves, colors, dots and so on and in a minute hang up/crashed, I had to turn off from the power button. Instead, Mate version works really fine and updated drivers for my nVidia G-Force 9400GT PCIe that cinnamon didn't allow me because of crashing so fast. Someone told me tu update from Software manager and I did but just got a poor-half Ubuntu unity desk. I will go on looking for a right answer to use this new LinuxMint face, let's see...
Regards :wink:
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Jessey Lawson wrote:Clem you messed up Mint bad. We can't change the log in screen after the update know. I was looking forward to that and now it goes asay. All we get is that ugly clear screen. If this does not geting better then I will swtich back to 14 and start some new compition to MInt.
Is it just me or are comments like that just rude? I'm sure by threatening Clem you'll get everything you ask for, perhaps with an apology and some cash for your inconvenience?

Seriously, be part of the fix or find what works. Bitc*ing like a 10 year old does nothing. They work hard to make a great product, but they're also human and we're all prone to errors. I'm sure your login screen bug is their top priority now that you have so eloquently insulted and threatened them.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Really. Somebody who hates Mint can easily find a distro to like, use and be happy.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The release candidate isn't recommended for production use; that may for some users give a lesser experience as some here have had. The final release will include fixes for all the issues identified on the blog during the RC.

Clem just today shared an update on progress of the RC: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/w ... rc-it-was/.
-> We went through 577 comments
-> We didn’t keep a record of the number of bugs found, but we worked off a list (removing them as we fixed them and adding new ones as people reported them), and at some stage that list included 82 bugs
-> We’re down to 2 bugs and they’re related to how we make the ISO, so we’re basically done with the bugs
With the development team having grown over the last year, issues found on the RC are being solved fast. It looks promising for the final release :) The current status of open issues can be found on the Roadmap: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap.
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

actually I never cared much for mint but I find cinnamon 15 okay, still a little bloaty for my taste but better than usual

iow - that is a big meandean thumbsup
jgradyc

Post by jgradyc »

Jessey Lawson wrote:Clem you messed up Mint bad. We can't change the log in screen after the update know. I was looking forward to that and now it goes asay. All we get is that ugly clear screen. If this does not geting better then I will swtich back to 14 and start some new compition to MInt.
Time to switch to decaf... :wink:

Seriously, so far I'm finding Mint 15 comparable to 14 on my laptops, but then I'm still a relative newbie.
Iain261987

Post by Iain261987 »

I Love how some people, not mentioning names B*tch like they paid for this software. I have been using Olivia RC since its release day and so far have found very little wrong with it.
Everything i have tried has worked. Infact i love it. Good work Guys!
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I agree, Iain. There were a few hiccups in the first day or so, but they were quickly disappeared with updates. I'm very pleased with this RC. Lovely :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”