Mint versions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gert3d

Mint versions

Post by gert3d »

Am I correct in the assumption that a Mint version (now 14) always includes the same set of applications, but the graphical interface may differ?
For version 14 currently: Mate, Cinnamon, KDE, XFce (and for other versions LXDE, Gnome, Fluxbox)

Second question: If I start using version 14, how can I update in the future?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint versions

Post by TBABill »

Updating Mint versions hasn't historically been recommended, but it can be done by a few, and users usually do a fresh install. I find the Ubuntu (and derivatives) upgrade to new versions slow, sometimes buggy and occasionally prone to failure. New installs are just faster and I can backup my /home, reinstall, and copy my files back over faster than an upgrade.
mhauden

Re: Mint versions

Post by mhauden »

A clean install is definitely the way to go ... although I've used Ubuntu's in-place upgrades between minor versions (e.g. 11.04 to 11.10) it just makes me nervous about what will break... and when.

A combination of Mint's backup/restore tool (which will backup both your files and your installed packages), and specifically *selectively* bringing subfolders from .cinnamon and .config back into your profile after reinstalling is a fairly painless way to go.

To the point made here[1], an upgrade isn't necessary by definition, unless you're running an unsupported OS or want the features of the new version (e.g. hardware support in the kernel, desktop manager tweaks, etc.).

[1] http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Return to “Beginner Questions”