[Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DigitalNoise

[Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Post by DigitalNoise »

First off, I realize this is an RC, and thus is still subject to some bugs - but I think what I'm encountering is more than just a minor bug, so I'm curious to see what others think.

Hardware:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
  • 4 GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512
  • 250 GB SATA HDD x 1
  • 640 GB SATA HDD x 1
I decided to use the Mint 15 Cinnamon RC release to replace my aginig Ubuntu 10.10 install from several years ago that I had let languish and now couldn't update (easily).

Since installing Mint 15, however, I've noticed a LOT of little issues that are driving me nuts, and I'm not sure what the causes are:
  • Screen tearing when scrolling webpages or any type of window. I've installed the "recommended" nVidia proprietary drivers, but it hasn't made a difference.
  • Web browsing is SLOW - really, anything related to the internet is slower than when I was on Ubuntu 10.10. I've got a hardwired 1Gbps link to my router with a 50Mbps internet connection. Pages that were previously instantaneous are now incredibly slow to load.
  • Panel applets don't install correctly. Could be a version compatibility issue I suppose.
  • Screen/text clarity is not great. I've already corrected for the native resolution on both my displays; that's not the issue. Fonts just don't look... right.
  • Over all the whole experience just feels MUCH slower than Ubuntu 10.10
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I should stick it out with this and try to get it working better, or if I should roll back to Mint 14 or 13. Are there any really super compelling, must-have features in 15?

Additionally, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Cinnamon is an overlay to GNOME 3, and MATE is an overlay to GNOME 2, correct? Is there a compelling reason to chose one over the other? I have to admit I like how Cinnamon handles multiple workspaces (that's just neat!), but I'm not so heavy of a user that I think it's going to be that much of an issue for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Post by kc1di »

DigitalNoise wrote: Additionally, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Cinnamon is an overlay to GNOME 3, and MATE is an overlay to GNOME 2, correct? Is there a compelling reason to chose one over the other? I have to admit I like how Cinnamon handles multiple workspaces (that's just neat!), but I'm not so heavy of a user that I think it's going to be that much of an issue for me.
Can't answer most of your question but just a little correction on the Cinnamon/Mate thing. Cinnamon is infact a shell of gnome 3 but a highly developed one.
but Mate is a continuation of gnome 2x series that is being heavily developed as a fork of gnome 2x. so it's not just an overlay but a completed Desktop environment that has been developed to the point it can use newer libraries and newer packages.

I like them both , but unfortunately at the moment I'm getting a kernel panic with the 3.8 kernel, but this seems to be an upstream issue as I get it with any distro on my laptop that uses the 3.8 kernel. Haven't found a fix yet. still looking.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
DigitalNoise

Re: [Mint 15 Cinnamon RC 64-bit] Questions/Issues

Post by DigitalNoise »

Well, 15 decided to just randomly crash on me during the night with no indication of why, so... not cool. I think I may end up rolling back to an earlier version or going with a different distro all together.

Still love to know why I'm having such issues though - I've never had an OS problem on this machine before.

Return to “Beginner Questions”