Can't torrent anything.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
musicalmaxwell

Can't torrent anything.

Post by musicalmaxwell »

Hello, I was about to torrent Olivia 15 (that's what I'm torrenting, I swear!) and so I tried using Deluge and Transmission to torrent it. However, recently I get the error "no incomming connections" (or in Tranmission, 0 downloaders and 0 seeders, or just "queued download" forever). Thus, I troubleshooted and began using different ports. No matter what I did, the program would either hang or say "Port not open" (BOTH programs). When I access CanYouSeeMe.org, the site that Transmission uses to find its ports, it does not even give me the result "Port not open"; it simply gives me an error.

However, when I run netstat -nlt this is what I get:

Code: Select all

tcp        0      0 127.0.1.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6881            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*                    LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 :::445                  :::*                    LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 :::6881                 :::*                    LISTEN     
tcp6       0      0 :::139                  :::*                    LISTEN 
Currently, I am attempting to use port 6881. It again tells me that the port is not open. However, it is obviously listening.
Other ports I have tried are 47813, 53131, and many, many more in that range. Each time I do and type netstat -nlt, it tells me that the port that I input IS listening. This happens in both Deluge AND in transmission.

Thinking that maybe my ISP is throttling me, I also used Glasnost. Glasnost reported that there was no traffic shaping occuring, this was it's output about my download/upload rates.

Code: Select all

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 6127 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 4373 Kbps.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits uploads on port 6881 or 51748. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 6127 Kbps while uploads on port 51748 achieved up to 3468 Kbps.
I am using Linux Mint 14. My Deluge version is 1.3.5 and my Transmission version is 2.61. I don't have access to the router, it is a shared router with my appartment building. Before this install I was using Ubuntu, and was not having any issues torrenting at all.

Thanks
Maxwell
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can't torrent anything.

Post by Spearmint2 »

Look at the IP address of 0.0.0.0

You running a hosts file looping back some IP addresses?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
musicalmaxwell

Re: Can't torrent anything.

Post by musicalmaxwell »

I'm sorry, I believed that this was normal since I was using netstat -nlt. I don't know what you mean by running a host's file.

Return to “Beginner Questions”