Best way to install for a HDD/SSD combo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superguy2876

Best way to install for a HDD/SSD combo

Post by Superguy2876 »

I have a 64GB SSD, and a 1.5TBHDD.

Im wondering what is the best way to go about installing mint on these.
Is it possible to install mint on SSD for fast boot, and keep all the software i install on HDD?
Or some other way to do a similar thing?

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Best way to install for a HDD/SSD combo

Post by passerby »

Installed software probably won't take up a lot of your space. 10GB is more than enough for most people.
However, the config files and other data can take up a fair amount, so...
IMO, install mint on the SSD, but use the HDD for your /home partition.
Depending on your usage, you may be able to get away with putting everything on the SSD and just use the HDD for downloads, music, videos, ISO's, etc.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Yes, you can install Mint to the SSD. If you eventually want to use the SSD as a cache for the HDD then you will need a much newer kernel, 3.9 I believe.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Superguy2876

Post by Superguy2876 »

But if I install mint to the SSD, can I then install software to the HDD later on? If so how would i do it, and what format would the HDD have to be?
passerby

Post by passerby »

To install stuff to it, you'd have to use a linux format such as EXT4. I don't believe it would work with NTFS, so if you need to share files with a Windows OS, make a separate partition for that.
You can move the installed software later on. Not difficult with two disks, like you have; saves live booting and such.
Superguy2876

Post by Superguy2876 »

Thanks, I think I have a good idea of what i need to do now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”