Black screen of death!!!! - SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Black screen of death!!!! - SOLVED

Postby estaman on Sun May 19, 2013 2:58 am

Hi,

I would appreciate any guidance with solving my problem. I have a quad core machine, 8gb ram, gigabyte x48-ds4 motherboard and a nvidia geforce 9800 gtx video card. I previously had ubuntu 11 running on this machine.

I decided to try running mint 15 64 bit cinnamon. To get it to install, I had to boot up in compatibility mode. When it finishes the install and wants to do the first boot, all I get is a black screen. After the posit screens, I can't even see the mint splash / startup screens as mint is booting up. I can hear the HD starting the operating system.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem.

Regards,

Ian
Last edited by estaman on Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
estaman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Black screen of death!!!!

Postby xenopeek on Sun May 19, 2013 3:40 am

This topic might help you boot: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257. See the heading "If you can't boot successfully after installing Linux Mint."
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Black screen of death!!!!

Postby estaman on Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 am

Thank you so much! It worked a treet. :)
estaman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions