Back-up GRUB Bootloader

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martinfromdublin
Level 2
Level 2

Back-up GRUB Bootloader

Post by martinfromdublin »

Hi, it is possible to restore the GRUB Bootloader if it gets over-witten? I ask this because my XP installaton just went belly-up and may need to be completley re-installed, that includes a reformat of the NTFS partition. This means that at the end, the XP bootloader would replace GRUB leaving me no way to boot back into Celena, which is not affected.

I know other distros like SuSe and Kanotix give you the option of backing up GRUB onto a floppy which can be used later to boot the system and once up and running give another option to repair/restore GRUB from the GUI. Does Celena have this function? I don't really want to re-install Celena as I have it running the way I like.

Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
martinfromdublin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Back-up GRUB Bootloader

Post by martinfromdublin »

Update: XP restored via Safe Mode but would still like to know how to back-up GRUB, if it's possible. I've done this in SuSE by use of a floppy but don't remeber how.
Fred

Re: Back-up GRUB Bootloader

Post by Fred »

Greetings martinfromdublin,

It is relatively easy to reinstall grub in a situation like you describe. Lets use an example.

sda1 Windows
sda2 swap
sda3 Linux Mint complete install

If you are locked out of your Mint install you can use something like Supergrub to boot the Linux install. Supergrub is handy to have around as it can boot almost anything. Don't be tempted to try to fix things with Supergrub unless you know what you are doing. Supergrub is a very useful and powerful tool.

Once you have booted into your Mint desktop open a terminal and type:

sudo grub

root (hd0,2)

setup (hd0)

quit

The first line opens a grub terminal. The second line tells grub where the stage 1.5 and menu.lst file are located, (1st hard drive - 3rd partition). The third line tells grub where to install the grub kernel, (1st hard drive mbr). The forth line exits the grub terminal.

You have now reinstalled grub. :-)

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”