<SOLVED> Add printer/ connect to WORKGROUP

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juaquin

<SOLVED> Add printer/ connect to WORKGROUP

Post by juaquin »

I have been trying to figure out how to add a printer for a few hours now, and I just can't wrap my head around it. I am completely new to Linux, and have Mint 14 Cinnamon installed; I'm a convert from Windows 7. On this same laptop, when it was running Windows 7, I could easily print remotely via the Homegroup function (the printer was shared--my desktop has Windows 7).

When I try to add a printer via preferences: no printers available > add new printer > network > FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.

When I tried to connect to the network through Files, and click on Admin-PC (my desktop), it asked for a password (wouldn't connect with any combination). I changed the settings on my desktop (running Windows 7) and now I can access folders, one of which is "print$", but does this help me in any way?

I don't know what Samba/CUPS are or how to use them; I am completely new to this and used to Windows. I like Linux, and right now my first priority is to set up basic functionality so that I can get to know the system better. I understand how to use some functions in the Terminal. But for now, basic instructions in "plain English" are appreciated.

Thanks! ~Juaquin

Also, I'm open to any tips or tricks for a first-time Linux user :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Add printer/ connect to WORKGROUP

Post by altair4 »

The firewallD error is a bug so run the following command instead:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
juaquin

Post by juaquin »

I've tried that, but I don't know how to add a printer this way? What do all the options mean/do?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
EzPc

Post by EzPc »

I don't know if you solved this problem but since there is no answer listed and having the same problem and finding my solution I thought it might help someone to post it here.

Issue:
Print from my ThinkPad to a Cisco WPS54GU2 print server hosting a Samsung CLP-325 Printer over my home network

I found the answer on the CUPS help page. Please try the following:

1. Find out the IP address of your printer server
2. Open your browser to http://localhost:631/help/network.html
3. Scroll down to the section labled Common Network Printer URIs
4. In Table 1 find the reference for Netgear WGPS606
5. Using either printer manager method listed above edit the properties
Netgear WGPS606
lpd://address/L1
lpd://address/L2

In my case the WPS54GU2 also has 2 ports and my printer is tied to it via USB which is L2. L1 is the parallel port
rloftus

Post by rloftus »

The easiest solution to your problem is to connect your printer directly to your router using a Cat-5 cable rather than routing the print signal through the Windows machine.

You'll have to reinstall the printer on your Windows machine that way but it's a very easy process, and Linux Mint will then be able to auto-detect the printer for you without needing any additional drivers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”